Bixby, OK water chemistry

Ariela is 10 months now and desperately trying to walk so she can more effectively harass her three older brothers. She pulls herself up to standing position on any piece of furniture she's near and is starting to scoot along. She is the Princess and, OMG, this girl is soooooo different than my three boys in terms of development. She can't speak yet but already is a non-stop chatterbox. I was planning on updating my "welcome" thread from last year with some 1-yr old pictures.

Your pool is beautiful! Great job on that build, you should be proud and have a big ole smile on your face every time you look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danny- I sure hope you are right! I'll get those pictures taken as soon as I can. We are supposed to have rain through the night until mid afternoon, and I'll take a look at that link. Thank you.

Kim- that's good to know. I bought 15 jugs of VERY fresh bleach at Walmart (date code 17). It'll get used even if I don't need it all for the SLAM.

Matt- I can just picture life in your home! So much fun! You're right, girls ARE completely different! She's gonna rule the roost! My son and daughter in law along with their three boys are going to experience the same thing when their 1st daughter is born in the next few weeks.
Thank you for the kind words regarding the pool. We do love it, despite our ongoing issues.

Hear hear to Matt's kudos on the pool. You did it and it's spectacular! :)

Just thinking of things that are light work, you probably already do this, but I'll just check that you're circulating water everywhere including water features. I think yours do so by their nature, but it's good to refresh the chlorine everywhere in the pool. Running on high once in a while can help stir it all up as well, though the robot does that even better! I hope you get well soon, Denise. Take care.

Thanks, Jet!

with the freezing temps we have had over the last several weeks, the spa and pool have been running in freeze protection a lot. Prior to the cold temps, I had the spa programmed to run for 30min every evening. I cancelled that schedule just recently. The past week it's still been cold but not constantly freezing, so the spa has only been running in its normal spillover. I just ran the spa for about 10 min and reactivated the spa schedule. Thank you for the reminder and the kind words!

Nini, I have been thinking about your pool..........The more I think about it the more I think it is NOT black algae. Black algae is more like black specks/dots that do not rub off. They must be scrubbed off along with high FC to kill it all of the way.

I would keep your FC up to help your pool fight whatever is going on. I think brushing would help also as it gets the stuff into the water for the FC to get to. (I had a dream of a pool with black slime all over it :roll: LOL)

Kim:kim:

Nini, I have been thinking about your pool..........The more I think about it the more I think it is NOT black algae. Black algae is more like black specks/dots that do not rub off. They must be scrubbed off along with high FC to kill it all of the way.

I would keep your FC up to help your pool fight whatever is going on. I think brushing would help also as it gets the stuff into the water for the FC to get to. (I had a dream of a pool with black slime all over it :roll: LOL)

Kim:kim:

I'm sorry my pool has invaded your dreams! I hope you were still able to get some rest!
My pool invades my sleep and too much of my wakeful thoughts :)

I REALLY hope you all are right. I looked up some pictures (the ones in the pool school black algae post don't show up for me), and some look like what you describe but some others look pretty close to what I'm seeing here.
Dog gone rain! I'm home on another sick day but ready to get out there and scrub. I'll just have to take intermittent coughing breaks instead of coffee breaks! Ha!

It finally stopped raining and I was able to test the water.

I warmed a sample to room temp and checked my CYA, it is now at the target of 60. After I read the SLAM doc, I see that it would have cost me less bleach to keep the CYA at 40 for SLAM but it was already mostly dissolved so I just finished that process.
I rechecked my FC. It read 30 the first time. I ran a second test(same water batch) and got 28.5. Weird. CC was 0 both times.
I took some pictures but not sure you'll be able to see what I am seeing. I can't scratch it off to do the paper plate test.
I scrubbed the tanning ledge tile and the plaster and threw the robot in the pool. I'm still not feeling well and just doing this wiped me out. It's very windy, cold and damp here and hubby doesn't want me outside today. Weather is supposed to be really nice the rest of this week and he wants me to wait until tomorrow to do thorough brushing. I think what I'll do is an OCLT tonight. No rain in the forecast and it will (hopefully) give me a better idea of whether or not there's an organic issue.

I'll the pictures in the next post.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Windy is right! 40+mph on this side of the red river.

I can't see anything much in the pics. Do you mean the slightly darkish tint at the waterline? That is not black algae. I agree, go inside and stay warm!

I don't know why those pics don't work for some folks. You aren't the first. We need to work on that. Here they are.

attachment.jpg
attachment-1.jpg

I think you're the best example in TFP history of why a robot is good! Go rest. Get well! Put on your parka and toque (aka beanie) and tell the robot to do his job!

Great that you managed the brushing, but go get stronger! :uhh:

FC is Maintaining - that's also great :) 24+ ppm FC and a bit of time, and you'll get there.

Thanks, Danny!

Yes, it does not look like these photos but it is SOMETHING...The best picture of what I am seeing is the 2nd picture. The dark blotches right above the waterline.

We'll see what the OCLT shows. Otherwise, yes, staying inside and gonna light a fire.

I think that is just some oily residue, elevated FC and brushing should take care of that in a week or two.

I can't scrape it off. If it is just some oily residue, isn't it weird that it would be just showing up now? Guess there's really no answer for it, if it's not algae.

I'll let you all know how my OCLT turns out.

Thanks again, Danny!

Results from OCLT

Last night after dark with pump running
FC 30.5
CC 0

This morning
FC 29.5
CC 0
This was when it was getting light out around 7:10 this morning but before any sun was shining directly on the pool. Air temp at 32 degrees and freeze protection running the spa.

Recheck at 10:45 this am with full bright sun (yay for sunny day!)
FC 28
CC 0

Since I over shot my FC target (which should have been 24 not 28 for my 60 CYA), I'm going to let it drift down to 24 and hold it there until I have no loss over night (or less than 1 ppm). It's currently 42 degrees outside and expected to warm up at least 10 degrees. I'll brush a couple of times today and run the robot but will begin that in another hour or 2 when it warms up a tad.
Water looks clear and maybe not as dull. Don't know if it matters but current water temp is 50 degrees. Still see some dark patches on the tiles.

I'll recheck FC again in a couple hours, too.

Sorry if this has been asked - did you do the Vitamin C tablet test on any of those spots? How about a trichlor tablet?

Vitamin C, crushed up in a nylon, releases ascorbic acid which will dissolve or lighten metal stains. It has no effect on organic stains.

You can buy a single trichlor puck and place it on the stain for not more than 10mins. If the stain is organic, the trichlor will lighten it. You could also use dichlor powder in a sock or nylon. Again, 5-10mins is all you should need to apply it for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.