Biofilm on Fiberglass Walls ?

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
So...I happened to have my original pool builder over for the first time since finished. He was amazed on how clear the water was, but then I happened to ask him what is the slight "variation in color" on the fiberglass walls.

My pool has always been maintained via TFP and my chems have been perfectly in balance since day 1.

He said for sure I have "biofilm" on my walls and that I need to use this "new product" called Target Zer0 from these guys.... https://www.pwrsystems.net/

To me it seems like a scam...although I am not sure what I have on my walls, but I guess in the deep end looking for some thoughts on this.

TO BE CLEAR - this is no attempt to market this product, I have never used nor heard of it, just trying to see what the experts MIGHT know about it and then my ultimate issue.

Thanks in advance!

Well just opening up that link it proudly proclaims that they believe that all pool should be chlorine and chemical-free. So clearly we are not going to think very highly of anything they have to say.

That is all they seem to be discussing is biofilms on walls. I have never had a biofilm on my wall. And a good way to avoid anything building up on your wall is to brush.

Any website that uses a link from the "Global Healing Center" as proof that there's such a thing as "chlorine disease" should be laughed at hysterically and then immediately erased from ones search history.

It's bogus. Totally bogus "alternative to chlorine" horse-pucky....

You don't have biofilms. What you have are very likely staining or porosity developing in the fiberglass gelcoat. It is a totally common occurrence and I bet if you drained the pool you'd see a chalky film on the fiberglass surface. It has nothing to do with sanitation and everything to do with surface changes to the gelcoat. It's not your fault or faulty water chemistry. Fiberglass is known to develop these types of surface appearances.

Can you get a picture of it?

If the walls don't feel slippery or slimy, there probably is no biofilm.

If they do feel slimy, then you likely have algae or bacteria growing.

If you maintain good fc/cya ratios, you should not have problems.

Brush the pool a few times a week, maintain good fc and forget about gimmicks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.