Big Water leak

Phildimauro

Aug 27, 2023
New Jersey
Hey everyone. I have a big leak all summer and can’t find the cause. I have tried dye and can’t find the hole . I’m Losing 1 inch per day and have to fill the inground pool every other day. Yesterday I saw water spots around the metal ladder gaskets at the deep end. I push the ladder down more as it was loose. Do you think it’s possible for the ladder to have a leak? I have bumpers on them as well. Strange thing after I did that I haven’t lost as much water.

Those are called escutcheons. They are used to go around around the spout in the tube or the keyhole for fancy key sets, etc.

So you are saying you are losing water. About an 1" each day. You pushed down of the curved part of the ladder to seat it better in the holes in the deck. After you did that you are losing less water each day.

Are there holes in the side of the pool the ladder is seated in or does the end of the ladder just hang over the edge or curve in to sit against the side of the pool?

Is there always water around the ladder around the escutcheons?

Do you have a light in the pool? Pull the light from the niche and check the conduit connection with the dye test.

I can't see how the ladder would be contributing to a leak, other than where the end in the pool rests again the liner. But that would be pretty easy to see if there is a hole in the liner. I doubt the bottom of the cups the ladder is in are below the water line and there is a siphon though the ladder is happening.

Does your pool have overflow lines or an auto fill? if the lid on the skimmer or overflow/autofill seals perfectly is can siphon water out. Leave the covers loose to check of the water loss continues.

Otherwise you likely have a leaky return line. A leak on the suction side you would likely see the pump is pulling air or looses it's prime.

Reactions: Phildimauro

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.