Bifen I/T

Apr 29, 2018
Kingston, TN
This is just an FYI to say that I searched TFP and by general recommendation decided to try Bifen I/T - let me just say that all of the ants, ticks and mosquitoes have vanished. This year, in working on my pool, sheds, yard and so on, I got eaten alive (I have big welts) by mosquitoes and to a lesser extent, ticks. As soon as I applied Bifen I/T they were no more. In previous years, I have tried Spectracide (it works some for the pets and ticks), torches, and big box store insecticides in gallon spray form (~$20 each).

Bifen I/T is available in 96 oz jugs for about $35 to make 96 gallons! I used a craftsman 2 gallon sprayer to apply it. No regrets, the I/T performs spectacularly. I applied it to 1 acre using a grand total of 8 oz and will reapply in two weeks to be sure. Amazing!

Last edited:
This is just an FYI to say that I searched TFP and by general recommendation decided to try Bifen I/T - let me just say that all of the ants, ticks and mosquitoes have vanished. This year, in working on my pool, sheds, yard and so on, I got eaten alive (I have big welts) by mosquitoes and to a lesser extent, ticks. As soon as I applied Bifen I/T they were no more. In previous years, I have tried Spectracide (it works some for the pets and ticks), torches, and big box store insecticides in gallon spray form (~$20 each).

Bifen I/T is available in 96 oz jugs for about $35 to make 96 gallons! I used a craftsman 2 gallon sprayer to apply it. No regrets, the I/T performs spectacularly. I applied it to 2 acres using a grand total of 8 oz and will reapply in two weeks to be sure. Amazing!

Hi Azide, super happy you posted this. I've been reading up about Bifen IT on a few other forums and am getting pretty hopeful about it.

My question is this, what did you spray? Some people suggest everything (except flowering plants to spare/protect the bees) and other say only where the insects hide. I want to try it this weekend but am confused where/what to spray. And how much? A layer on / under things? Saturate it? Even coatings like I'm painting or just casual with it to get most of the property.

We live on 1.6 acres and surrounded by woods. The mosquitoes, ants, and spiders are killing me! We also have wood decking around the pool so the ants and spiders from underneath are really testing my patience.

ANY help is appreciated as I want to try Biifen ASAP.

Hey Yeeper,

There is a manual which comes with it that is massive and small print. My understanding comes from that manual (included with the Bifen but best viewed online), especially the parts concerning mosquitoes, and also looking online at reviews on Amazon. The general mixing quantity is 1 oz per gallon of water, this should cover 1000 sq.ft., so you have to set your sprayer and pace accordingly. From what I remember the Bifen manual suggests you can spray with full coverage except on flowering plants, but I did not treat around plants in any bedding etc. I think perhaps that it would be ok to not spray flower beds, since the surrounding treatments will eliminate most bugs.

What I did was set my sprayer to 'shoot slightly long' to treat under the pool decking (for which I sprayed very liberally) and also from the edges of the woods into the woods. I set it at an intermediate level (not misting, but such that the sprayer would shoot about 6' in a wide arc). I then treated the pool walls (in my case AGP surrounded by decking), the deck in full, treated most of the lawns, around the house perimeter to 4' up the walls, and the interior and exterior of sheds/storage buildings. I did not treat as much of my property as I thought, so I should probably revise the 2 acres and state I treated 1 acre with 8 oz (8 gallons when mixed). It can also be used under guttering, but I have yet to do that, and some have used it within homes, but I would probably limit this to garage and attic spaces. I do not think you have to cover like painting, what I did was perhaps 20 feet by 20 feet at a time walking back and forth, not everything was covered or saturated, just enough that half the area had been slightly dampened.

I am very impressed with Bifen I/T, it is stated to be what the professionals use, and it has performed an order of magnitude better than anything I have bought in the past from WalMart, Lowes or Home Depot; I suspect they don't stock it owing to the sales of consumer targeted products. The only thing that bothers us now are sweat bees and that is not too often - mosquitoes were especially a pain, followed by ants, and I have not seen one mosquito or ant and since treatment.

When you do treat, wear gloves since it is obviously concentrated.

Here's some further info on Bifen IT: Bifen IT | Bifenthrin 7.9% Insecticide | Fast, Free Shipping
Apparently the company linked above will not ship to NY.

I have used Bifen IT for outdoors application for several years. I use a hose end sprayer instead of a pump sprayer (similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-G362-Professional-Fertilizer-Herbicides/dp/B00UER1S2I ). It makes application quicker.

Don't spray on flowering plants, fruit trees or anything you intend to eat (vegetables, etc).

For inside the house, I use Suspend Polyzone.

Above links are not endorsements of any particular website and are for illustration and information purposes only.

Hey Yeeper,

There is a manual which comes with it that is massive and small print. My understanding comes from that manual (included with the Bifen but best viewed online), especially the parts concerning mosquitoes, and also looking online at reviews on Amazon. The general mixing quantity is 1 oz per gallon of water, this should cover 1000 sq.ft., so you have to set your sprayer and pace accordingly. From what I remember the Bifen manual suggests you can spray with full coverage except on flowering plants, but I did not treat around plants in any bedding etc. I think perhaps that it would be ok to not spray flower beds, since the surrounding treatments will eliminate most bugs.

What I did was set my sprayer to 'shoot slightly long' to treat under the pool decking (for which I sprayed very liberally) and also from the edges of the woods into the woods. I set it at an intermediate level (not misting, but such that the sprayer would shoot about 6' in a wide arc). I then treated the pool walls (in my case AGP surrounded by decking), the deck in full, treated most of the lawns, around the house perimeter to 4' up the walls, and the interior and exterior of sheds/storage buildings. I did not treat as much of my property as I thought, so I should probably revise the 2 acres and state I treated 1 acre with 8 oz (8 gallons when mixed). It can also be used under guttering, but I have yet to do that, and some have used it within homes, but I would probably limit this to garage and attic spaces. I do not think you have to cover like painting, what I did was perhaps 20 feet by 20 feet at a time walking back and forth, not everything was covered or saturated, just enough that half the area had been slightly dampened.

I am very impressed with Bifen I/T, it is stated to be what the professionals use, and it has performed an order of magnitude better than anything I have bought in the past from WalMart, Lowes or Home Depot; I suspect they don't stock it owing to the sales of consumer targeted products. The only thing that bothers us now are sweat bees and that is not too often - mosquitoes were especially a pain, followed by ants, and I have not seen one mosquito or ant and since treatment.

When you do treat, wear gloves since it is obviously concentrated.

Fantastic. Just ordered some thanks to proavia's links below also. Very helpful info, I'm hoping it works wonders for us too! Big thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's some further info on Bifen IT: Bifen IT | Bifenthrin 7.9% Insecticide | Fast, Free Shipping
Apparently the company linked above will not ship to NY.

I have used Bifen IT for outdoors application for several years. I use a hose end sprayer instead of a pump sprayer (similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-G362-Professional-Fertilizer-Herbicides/dp/B00UER1S2I ). It makes application quicker.

Don't spray on flowering plants, fruit trees or anything you intend to eat (vegetables, etc).

For inside the house, I use Suspend Polyzone.

Above links are not endorsements of any particular website and are for illustration and information purposes only.

:handshake:

Hey folks! Did you have any luck with the Bifen I/T? I ask because a positive response would help others, and I am still very happy with it! Of course, negatives should be explained also. There are other reports of Bifen use on TFP which can be searched for. I am just very happy with this product and the value for money over DIY store granules for spreading and pre-diluted insecticides - the cost difference is huge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.