Bids on Semi-Inground vs. Inground... Where are the savings coming from???

emhia8

Jul 9, 2019
Pennsylvania
Hi all! I am going to be getting a pool installed in the spring. We're still in the planning phases and going over all of the options... We live at the bottom of a hill, so to do an inground pool right, we would have to do a retaining wall. We are located in Pennsylvania, and the first quote we got was for a 14x28 vinyl pool at $36k installed. This included a heat pump, stairs, lights, concrete walkway, and a decent amount of add ons. However, the cost of the retaining wall was not included. I was told this could add another $6-$10k! To avoid having to deal with a retaining wall, I've been looking into the semi-inground pools, since they could just be built into the slope. I already have a large deck out back, so I was thinking that the pool could be installed mostly into the ground, and then the deck could be extended to wrap around the pool. I got a quote for a fairly basic 16x32 semi-inground for $16,900, before adding deck, heater, etc. Still, this seems significantly cheaper than the inground pool, and it's bigger! I am just wondering, where the savings are coming from? After adding a deck and all the other luxuries to the semi-inground, I will be at around $25k installed. Why are semi inground pools significantly cheaper than a traditional inground pool when they are essentially the same thing? Also, the $16,900 was for an Optimum pool, as that is all the installer sells. I am waiting to hear back from the Radiant dealer... The Radiant Grecian seems like the perfect pool. Suspecting it will be a little more, but it seems worth it IMO. Any input is greatly appreciated!!!!

Isn't a "semi-inground" pool basically an above ground pool? If so, that seems like a lot.
The Radiant Grecian technically is an above ground pool, but it is designed to be installed above, semi, or completely in the ground. You can add a "hopper" bottom (deep end) and walk-in steps as well, so it truly would feel like an inground pool. The price isn't really a factor, I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to avoid the retaining wall drama and go with a semi-inground. How much would you expect to pay for a semi inground? Thanks for the reply!

Radiant Grecian Semi-Inground Swimming Pool

The Radiant Grecian technically is an above ground pool, but it is designed to be installed above, semi, or completely in the ground. You can add a "hopper" bottom (deep end) and walk-in steps as well, so it truly would feel like an inground pool. The price isn't really a factor, I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to avoid the retaining wall drama and go with a semi-inground. How much would you expect to pay for a semi inground? Thanks for the reply!

Radiant Grecian Semi-Inground Swimming Pool

I don't know much about them but isn't a comparable "above ground" pool like $5k installed? I guess if they are digging it out to have a deep-end that would add a level of complexity and subsequent cost. There is no scenario where I would ever consider a semi-in-ground. If I was you I would solicit bids for that retaining wall and see what you get.

The radiants have a rigid wall "sandwich" which allows for more flexibility for installation. The $16,900 mentioned above is pool only so comparing apples to apples, it should run about $5,000 to $7,500 less than the in-ground (not including cost of the retaining wall).

I looked into both. I got an inground pool, vinyl, with concrete walls (not steel walls) . I love my pool. I am so glad that I got something strong, long lasting, and absolutely beautiful. Please know that when your project is done, it is going to cost you money-period! You get what you pay for. Just do it right. You'll be glad that you did.

I'm so glad that I went with a real inground pool, not a semi.

Reactions: Aquaman7
post a picture of the yard and slope. usually installing an inground in a low lying area is a no no and hard to deal with. I have this problem on my personal pool at my home. the big issue with cost savings is the actual install type and material. an above ground pool is not going to last as long as an inground, and with todays composites a vinyl pool with composite walls can last indefinitely. its also a look as well. theres a huge difference between an above ground or semi with a wood deck around it on a different level than the natural grade and an inground that is on grade. many people just want a pool period and above grounds handle that pretty cheaply. others want a backyard oasis and the budgets soar over 100k. sometimes a slope is a good thing and can be in your favor if the soil removed for the pool can be used to level out the lot and no trucking is needed for material, depends on your grade. eyeballing it is hard for people who dont do this everyday. you would be amazed how many times I do a quick laser setup when pricing jobs and people who think their yard is flat have several feet of elevation difference and dont beleive me until they actually see it. then I get "does that thing really work?"

Reactions: Aquaman7
post a picture of the yard and slope. usually installing an inground in a low lying area is a no no and hard to deal with. I have this problem on my personal pool at my home. the big issue with cost savings is the actual install type and material. an above ground pool is not going to last as long as an inground, and with todays composites a vinyl pool with composite walls can last indefinitely. its also a look as well. theres a huge difference between an above ground or semi with a wood deck around it on a different level than the natural grade and an inground that is on grade. many people just want a pool period and above grounds handle that pretty cheaply. others want a backyard oasis and the budgets soar over 100k. sometimes a slope is a good thing and can be in your favor if the soil removed for the pool can be used to level out the lot and no trucking is needed for material, depends on your grade. eyeballing it is hard for people who dont do this everyday. you would be amazed how many times I do a quick laser setup when pricing jobs and people who think their yard is flat have several feet of elevation difference and dont beleive me until they actually see it. then I get "does that thing really work?"

I'm definitely not looking for a backyard oasis. We just want something that the kids can swim in, but we do want it to look nice. I think that sticking an above ground pool in the middle of our yard would look tacky. The semi-inground seems to be the perfect in between, as having an inground pool would add about $10k just for the retaining wall/regrading. Another thing to consider with us being at the bottom of a slope, every time we get a heavy rain our yard floods right where the pool will be going. Excavators told us they could install french drains, but I've heard that they don't always work and it just adds thousands of dollars on top of our budget. We have about 3 feet of elevation difference from the back of the deck to the fence.

Attachments

• IMG_7792.jpeg
    IMG_7792.jpeg
    730.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7794.jpeg
    IMG_7794.jpeg
    780.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_7793-min.jpg
    IMG_7793-min.jpg
    934.8 KB · Views: 109
If I was you I would put in a traditional above ground and surround it with a nice wood deck. Then in a few years if you guys grow to love the pool perhaps consider building a proper inground. You would only be out $5k or so as well.

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm definitely not looking for a backyard oasis. We just want something that the kids can swim in, but we do want it to look nice. I think that sticking an above ground pool in the middle of our yard would look tacky. The semi-inground seems to be the perfect in between, as having an inground pool would add about $10k just for the retaining wall/regrading. Another thing to consider with us being at the bottom of a slope, every time we get a heavy rain our yard floods right where the pool will be going. Excavators told us they could install french drains, but I've heard that they don't always work and it just adds thousands of dollars on top of our budget. We have about 3 feet of elevation difference from the back of the deck to the fence.

Also I am not seeing where you absolutely need a retaining wall. I was 4 foot + grade difference front to back albeit sloping away from the house. They simply used the dirt in the hole to build up the low edge and it turned out great. Get more proper in-ground bids and see what other builders think. Photos can be deceiving I know.

Also I am not seeing where you absolutely need a retaining wall. I was 4 foot + grade difference front to back albeit sloping away from the house. They simply used the dirt in the hole to build up the low edge and it turned out great. Get more proper in-ground bids and see what other builders think. Photos can be deceiving I know.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately all of the pool bids I have gotten said that a retaining wall is required, as we are at the bottom of the slope. My neighbors on top of the hill (seen in the picture) just had a pool installed 2 seasons ago and they did not have to do a retaining wall because the slope is downhill from their house. We are in a tricky situation being at the bottom. One builder had the idea of adding more dirt around my deck, and strengthening the deck to essentially use it as a retaining wall. Therefore my deck would be level with the ground. Everyone told me this is a bad idea, as a wooden structure should not be responsible for holding your yard in place. We're thinking of going with a Radiant above ground and just sinking it to almost inground depth. As much as I want to think otherwise, I don't believe an inground pool will be in our future. Our yard is underwater every time it rains, and a pool would only add to this problem. Anybody have any reasonable estimates for getting a Radiant Grecian 17x33 installed? Want to make sure the local dealers aren't BSing me. Still waiting to hear back on a quote.

Pricing can be quite tricky. It varies from area to area sometimes it even varied from one side of a big town to the other example would be Huston, TX. It is best for you to try to get at least 3 bids. Try for 5 if possible. That way you know who wants the job and what the pricing is like in your area.

You are going to have to find a way to make the rain water drain out of your yard. You run the chance of the water washing the dirt from around and under the pool. I see the "hump" on the other side of the back fence. I bet that really does not help with YOUR water situation.

Reactions: emhia8
Pricing can be quite tricky. It varies from area to area sometimes it even varied from one side of a big town to the other example would be Huston, TX. It is best for you to try to get at least 3 bids. Try for 5 if possible. That way you know who wants the job and what the pricing is like in your area.

You are going to have to find a way to make the rain water drain out of your yard. You run the chance of the water washing the dirt from around and under the pool. I see the "hump" on the other side of the back fence. I bet that really does not help with YOUR water situation.

Yes, we built the house 3 years ago and the excavator really screwed up from what I’ve been told... Lol. We had a few pool companies in for quotes, and they were all shocked at how the excavator graded my yard. I do believe that part of the problem is being at the bottom of a hill, there is not much that can be done... Another thing I have thought of... Round vs. other shapes? I’ve been reading that a circle pool can save almost $6k compared to an equivalent rectangular pool. Is this true, and does decking around a circle pool typically cost more? I greatly appreciate everyone’s help, I am a total noob when it comes to pools! :)

Attachments

• 3C77D9CF-700E-4172-B0E1-BD786F7A3650.jpeg
    3C77D9CF-700E-4172-B0E1-BD786F7A3650.jpeg
    572.2 KB · Views: 36
In your situation I think an inground vinyl pool would have frequent liner float issues.

I agree. If the excavators find groundwater under my land that could lead to the liner float (which there very likely is water), it will be an additional $3,500 to pump the water out! I really wanted to have an inground pool, but spending another $15k or so (half the cost of the pool!) on a retaining wall and taking care of the ground water doesn’t make much financial sense. If i’m going to spend that much, I would rather get a loaded semi-inground with a slide, lights, water feature etc than blow $15k on my yard, which should have been done right when the house was built!

Does the slope continue down from the yard and thru the front yard? If so you could install drains to catch water and redirect to the front and to the road/ edge of your property. Either way with a pool you dont want wet ground. The pool will likely shift down the road

We too live on a slope (that ends at a lake), and have a high water table as well. We ended up leveling the area where the pool would go, and rather than have the pool flush with the ground, the pool edge is 18" above the ground. We covered the 18" with travertine and it looks great! Runoff doesn't get into the pool, and little tikes have a harder time getting in without being noticed. You might want to consider not sinking it all the way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.