Bicard start up=Extremely High TA???!!! Help! please Advise

Jul 25, 2021
California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone. I have been on this site for the last few months doing research while our pool was being built. Filled it 2 days ago using the bicarb start up method. I have a Couple of questions.
First here are my numbers

After One gallon added Clorine-0.2
CYA- 0
I have added 3” trichlor tabs to slowly raise CL AND CYA. I will be using liquid CL in the future.

PH 7.4 compared to 8.3 directly after fill
Was as low as 7.2 after adding acid
CA 100- tap water was 50
TA- 450!!!! Was 700! Directly after fill. I dont understand why it went that high I did the math using the same water they used to fill the pool. Now its a uphill battle. I have added 3 gallons of acid since fill up. and today I ran the waterfall for most of the day.
Temp 71 f
CSI 0.27+

My Questions are …
1. Should I worry about the low Calcium hardness at this time? Should I start adding calcium now or wait? Agian …brand new colored plaster and I dont want to mess it up.
2. Should I worry about the TA being that high or continue to focus on the CSI? And keeping it in the positive.

What instructions were you following for your bicarb startup?

@onBalance wrote this Bicarb Start-up guide for TFP members

What instructions were you following for your bicarb startup?

@onBalance wrote this Bicarb Start-up guide for TFP members

I used the onbalance instructions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.