BGE or Gas Grill for Primary??

I gotta say - I know those are both big investments, but the only right answer is both ;)

The egg is a ton of fun, makes great food, and is very versatile. Buuuut, it does have limitations - there isn't room for 30 or 40 burgers, 50 hot dogs, or a dozen ribeyes. It's also just one tool - if you ever want to cook more than one thing at a time in different ways (blast a chicken while slow cooking your ribs for example) you need more than one 'que.

A good modern gas grill can do a lot these days - the one i just ordered came with a rotisserie, a griddle, and a searing burner. I can use all of those at the same time and still have room for a few dozen burgers! What it will not do, however, is low and slow an 18lb pork butt for 20 hours, or make ribs so good you want to scream, or blast a little roasting hen into perfectly crispy-skinned juicy-meat perfection.

Take all of the above with a grain of salt - the ODK i'm building right now actually has 4 'ques in it :eek: Not sure how I got that past my wife...

We have a Weber charcoal grill but it has a propane starter. I think it's called a Weber Performer. We really like it a lot. Doesn't take too long to heat up and no lighter fluid smell. We also use a hardwood briquette which my DH likes a lot better than regular charcoal.

You should try lump charcoal. You can get Royal Oak at Home Depot in my area. It's actual hardwood, made in Missouri out of oak. Your DH will love it even more!

I use a Weber Genisis for grilling and a MES upright smoker for real BBQ. The MES-40 with an A-maze-n smoker tray makes it so simple to produce great results that it feels a little like cheating. In fact it's so easy that they are actually banned in competition BBQ events.

The Weber gets more use, but it's always the smoker that gets the rave reviews anytime I pull a brisket or pork shoulder out of it.

You should try lump charcoal. You can get Royal Oak at Home Depot in my area. It's actual hardwood, made in Missouri out of oak. Your DH will love it even more!

Just another option, skip the charcoal and just cook with wood. I like fruit woods - I have lots of apple, cherry, and plum trees on the property. I chunk it up in 3-4" pieces, and light it with a chimney starter just like charcoal. Give it a good burn to get it started, then spread the coals and knock down the airflow. It won't last quite as long as briquettes, but I can usually get 8 hours out of a bed of coals.

Just another option, skip the charcoal and just cook with wood. I like fruit woods - I have lots of apple, cherry, and plum trees on the property. I chunk it up in 3-4" pieces, and light it with a chimney starter just like charcoal. Give it a good burn to get it started, then spread the coals and knock down the airflow. It won't last quite as long as briquettes, but I can usually get 8 hours out of a bed of coals.
I like that idea! I too like fruit woods, and may have to give that a try one of these evenings.

LOVE my Primo and will never cook another steak or such on my gasser again....
My Gas (Weber Genesis) is for quick cooks (think hotdogs, smaller burgers, etc...) for EVERYTHING else, it goes on my Primo! The taste, longer cooks, ability to long, slow cook, smoke, etc... is something your gas can't match.
A

A

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.