Beyond Frustrated

Aug 22, 2015
Columbia, SC
I work for an apartment complex as a maintenance tech. We have Two pools in SC, and the Property manager okayed opening one pool for limited use, so I skimmed it, backwashed the filter and vacuumed to waste even though it is nasty water.

At any rate there is some algae in that the water is green. We have a pool company that we paid to check it every couple weeks over the winter set it to circulate 4 hours a day and when I just checked it we have 3 ppm free chlorine 2 ppm combined chlorine. Ph is 7.4, alkalinity is 125, and calcium is around 350 ppm, but I checked CYA and we are over 100!

I did 50:50 pool water and tap water and it came up around 55 when I tested it. I found another Taylor test kit purchased for this year, and the results were within a drop of being the same...

I convinced the property manager to allow a 50 percent drain and refill... the pool in question is 40,000 gallons. I drained 60 to 65% and refilled it. I set the filter to circulate 12 hours a day, but I put it on override for continuous operation while trying to clear the pool.

anyway the calcium hardness is down to under 150 ppm, and the CYA is around about 40 when I measured it last. I shocked with a LOT of Calcium Hypoclorite using 6 bags and I added 4 Jugs of liquid sodium hypochlorite chlorite.

This morning things were looking a LOT better but very cloudy, so Iskimmed, vacuumed, and brushed. The free chlorine was down to 15 ppm, so I added 4 jugs of liquid chlorine.

Then the pool people came out and billed us for opening the pool. On the invoice they added 4 gallons of liquid stabilizer... some algae-side, some clarifier, and 4 bags of TriChlor power shock!

I cringed and rechecked then CYA... it is at about 100 as far as I can tell. I called to ask why they added it, and they said “because you replaced all the water it needs it.”

Well now I have enough CYA for two swimming pools.

I told the property manager about it Asking to drain half again... I explained we have enough for two swimming pools again...to which she said, “well now the pool is clear, so everything should be fine.“

I explained it is only clear Now because it has received a heck of a lot of chlorine but that it will be a monster to maintain... I told her the health department allows only 10 ppm chlorine at the maximum, and I cannot guarantee that below about 12 to 15 ppm it will not turn green!

The response I got was the pool company said it needs only 5 ppm. I tried explaining that if the CYA was around 30 to 40 ppm where it belongs they are correct, but to get the CYA to that we need to partially drain the pool again,

Denied until fall at the earliest she said due to budgets.

How would you handle this?

For this pool we have a chemical Budget of $150 per month plus $300 per month to the pool company... the budget for water is based on 5000 gallons per month (10k gallons per billing cycle). We have the same budget in the winter and are allowed to average by the quarter if we choose, so I can spend $450 say September 1st if I don’t spend any in July or August. Typically, I order more supplies in the winter and stockpile for the summer.

In the storage room for this pool (It’s pump room) we have 6 buckets of the 3” TriChlor pucks for the chlorination, and about 30 more gallons of sodium Hypoclorite I milk crates. There are five boxes of Arm and Hammer, and 10 gallons of acid. We have 13 bags of TriChlor shock, and 36 bags of Cal Hypo. We have 2 one gallonish size containers of Soda Ashand two unopened containers of dry stabilizer About the same size... and 4 gallon containers of liquid stabilizer... We have 4 half used bottles of clarifIre and two types of Algecide. One is metallic and the other is sodium something.

I haven’t looked in the other pump room, but we have plenty of chemicals from what I can see..,

How would you handle this the situation... and the pool?

Last edited:
Hopefully an expert will have some helpful advice, but from past posts I don't think there is much you can do.

Public pools are a different animal. Most do not acknowledge the CYA/FC relationship.

You will need to check on the regulations and policies for your area.

Reactions: IceShadow
I would keep it as close to 10 as I could. You can’t go above it like you said due to health regs. The pool company, the state department of health, etc. don’t recognize the CYA/FC ratio. This isn’t unusual.

Over time CYA does go down a bit. It will also lower as you get rain and then lower the water level. Finally if you vacuum to waste a little every week and add fresh water to keep it topped off, that’s normal pool operation, right? ;)

If you can instruct the pool company to only use liquid chlorine unless otherwise specified it would be good - just tell them you’re monitoring CYA levels and will adjust them yourself as needed. Not sure if you have the authority to do that or not, though.

Okay.... I am vacuuming every day like we normally do... and like leaving the vacuum unattended for a couple hours to waste while I do early morning work orders. There is a system to automatically fill the pool when the level drops.

We have the automatic chlorinator turned down to the minimum where it cannot even fully maintain the levels. In the morning we add liquid Hypoclorite and again before I go home. Our morning target is 9 ppm and before going home, I am aiming for 10.5 ppm

I would like to at least get the CYA down to 70 ppm by vacuuming until the fall and convince the property manager in August to allow a half drain.... Then with a target of 35 ppm CYA, I would like to crank up the automatic chlorinator with the 3” TriChlor pucks and ride out the season, which ends around Halloween where we close the pool usually November 1st.

Right now, I am looking for a different pool company. Also the $150 a month we are going to be buying liquid chlorine with all of that. This pool takes between a half and full gallon of liquid Hypoclorite per day depending on weather and bather load, so I estimate we have enough on hand until the middle of July if we have trouble sourcing it.

The secondary pool is only 20,000 and not open. It has a CYA of 35 and is currently chlorinated to 6 ppm and maintaining well with its automatic chlorinator. It has 0 CC! We just got a robot for it, so basically every other day we skim, brush, and check it’s chemicals. It’s nice and blue. In its pool room there are 11 gallons of liquid Hypoclorite, which I don’t see us as needing. Heck, I could probably get permission to drain that one which doesn’t need it (situational irony).

What is your thought on adding the non-metallic algaecide to aid in keeping it clear until we can get the CYA down to maybe 70?

My understanding is that most algaecide is neutralized by chlorine. So it probably wouldn’t help much. I could be wrong!

If anything a good phosphate remover and keeping phosphates really low should help prevent an algae bloom until the CYA is lower.

Call the health department. Just skimming the state regulations --- your county may be more stringent -- I found

(c) All outdoor pools using chlorine may be stabilized with cyanuric acid. When used, the cyanuric acid level must not exceed two hundred (200) parts per million for calendar year 2009, one hundred fifty (150) parts per million for 2010, and one hundred (100) parts per million beginning in 2011. Indoor pools need not be stabilized.
If it's over 100, the health department red tags it. And the boss gets to call the pool guys and demand an explanation and maybe some money to pay for that wasted water.

You might do well to sign up for a CPO course. Certified Pool Operator. Then they don't need to hire the pool company because you're on staff. Might be a raise in it, too.

Reactions: IceShadow
We actually did a CPO class a few years ago, and ironically most of it was measuring the size of pool and doing the math for adding chemicals. For example if 5 oz of XYZ-Chlorine is required to raise the Free Chlorine by 1 ppm for a 10,000 gallon pool, how much is required to raise the Free Chlorine from 4 ppm to 5 ppm for a 25,000 pool.

^^^ Honestly, that was the majority of the class.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.