Better quality above ground pool?

olddaddy

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2015
Davenport, FL
We have an Intex 18 X48 pool, their ultra-model. We've had a few of these over the years. This one seems to be poor quality compared to the others. After only 2 years the steel legs, Tees and beams are rotten and rusting. I've reinforced about half of them with aluminum tube to keep the pool standing. So, my questions is who makes a better quality above ground pool? I'd pay more for something that will stand up and last for more than 2 years. What are the options?

Hey Old Daddy !!!! All of the 'temporary pools' fall victim to moisture. And your FL environment is about as harsh as they come for that.

Search above with the magnifying glass icon and you'll find a couple of threads where folks added their own rustolium to the frame to slow the demise. Ultimately the frames all flex and any pinch/rub points will do you in. But they are 1/4 (?) The cost of a comparable permanant above ground pool so replacing them 4 times as often is fair.

You've proven you are pool people. Storngly consoder upgrading to a permanent pool, if the budget allows. It may not save you alot of money in the long run, but it will save a big headache every 2-3 years.

Reactions: magiteck
We’ve had the one in my signature since 2017. We live in Fl on a salt water canal right by the gulf. The pool frame is doing great. The liner has faded unbelievably bad! Had an intex previously.

Last edited:
We are planning on an inground pool, but need another year or two before we commit. Development pressure around us may cause our place to become valuable enough to relocate. I bought another Intex for cheap from a friend who had it up for 3 months before deciding to relocate himself. All I need now is a new salt system.......Any recommendations? Might create a separate post.

I bought another Intex for cheap from a friend who had it up for 3 months before deciding to relocate himself.
Sweet !!!! Search for rustiolum / DIY coating threads to try and delay the rot.

All I need now is a new salt system.......Any recommendations?
@Mdragger88 knows a bunch about these. Hang tight.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.