Best Way to Test Water at a Pool Store

Not testing related but does it can your store stock bulk liquid chlorine and keep it out of the sun/heat so it’s actually fresh?
Every store I've seen that sells bulk chlorine (including distributers) keeps the tank outdoors. Ours is well protected from sunlight (I've seen some that are not). It seems the temperature fluctuation must have some effect, but given the size of the tank and the quick turnover, it's hopefully not too significant. I'd like to see a study on that or a way to measure potency loss.

I would not bother to offer a TDS test (worthless as even the good stuff account for the value), nor a Total Chlorine test (as you only need to know the FC value and the CC level).

Phosphates are often used solely to sell weak products when better ones are on the market (Seakleer and another I can't recall). PhosFree is worthless, IMO. If you are looking to do phosphates at least sell the good stuff.

All plaster pools need the Calcium checked. Fiberglass possibly, but rarely. Vinyl Never and don't sell vinyl liner folks any calcium just ti make a sale unless they are using Calhypo to sanitize.

Explain to them that frequent FL rains and drain downs will alter their chemistry and possibly need to add more of x,y or z at times. But side benefit is rain helps lower some overly high levels of x, y or z too. Teach them!

Good luck with the new store!

Maddie :flower:

Last edited:
I think a pool store based on TFP methodology would an interesting concept and possibly a differentiator. By encouraging personal testing and offering liquid chlorine, cal-hypo and tabs would cover the spectrum. From an equipment offering, being a distributor for Jandy, Pentair, Hayward for SWCG could be advantageous and put you in a position to show the differences and amount of effort needed by the pool owner to maintain proper sanitation. I would stress the need for proper sanitation, even creating a poster of the FC/CYA Levels For the DIY it would tick all the boxes that they could purchase the needed supplies from you plus extra for play and relaxation items. For the hands-off person, then using tabs would suit their need if they do not want a SWCG and in store testing could monitor their CYA to indicate when water change is needed. Having the CYA/FC chart would show them the need to keep FC high as CYA increases and may even convert them to SWCG over time. I would target one of the electronic testers to provide greater versatility due to staffing issues. Just be transparent on your calibration timeline and ensure that things are cleaned after each test. That is probably easier than controlling how many drops they use for each test. That can be hectic during the swim season. I have seen 10 people in line for water test in some pool stores so quick and efficient testing is needed. Also posting the Recommended Levels would provide every customer a view of what is needed for their pool.

Obviously, this is only some points of your business plan. Clearly you need to make a profit to stay in business, but since this is a private pool store, you or the owner is not pressured by corporate to meet certain metrics each month, quarter, etc. You can find other high margin products such as patio equipment, games, etc. that your loyal customer base could purchase. Also having a service group to install pumps, heaters, and even automation could be an additional profit maker. Knowing that a pool owner does not have to purchase $300 of chemicals upon each visit, may open other options for them to purchase things. I think about my local Ace Hardware. Half the store if for the "man", tools, paint, etc. The other half is gifts, even clothing, my wife purchased a $98 blouse the other day. So having a mixed profit model may be better than trying to push unneeded chemicals. Also, the less chemical you have in store, the easier is your inventory to monitor.

Just my thoughts. Good Luck.

Reactions: kimkats
Every store I've seen that sells bulk chlorine (including distributers) keeps the tank outdoors. Ours is well protected from sunlight (I've seen some that are not). It seems the temperature fluctuation must have some effect, but given the size of the tank and the quick turnover, it's hopefully not too significant. I'd like to see a study on that or a way to measure potency loss.
Protecting from sunlight will help keep temps a lot lower.

Never used it but if you want to test you can get the Taylor K-1579. Appears to test concentrations of liquid chlorine up to 15%.

Note I’ve not actually bought bulk liquid chlorine myself, one local pool store near me had terrible reviews so I never visited and the other one left a bad impression on me when I tried to shop there and I never returned. I’d buy bulk if I could though for less carting around of bottles (and hopefully cheaper prices).

Thank you. It looks like if we are able to turn over the chlorine in our tank weekly the degradation is relatively small at cooler temperatures but pretty significant at higher temps. I will aim to get the K-1579 kit and test chlorine on delivery, after waiting different amounts of time, from competitors, etc., to see where we stand. That table gives me the impression that nobody buying bulk chlorine is getting what's printed on the label, but testing will tell. Thermodynamics inside a large tank are complicated. There might be other factors I don't understand.

Phosphates are often used solely to sell weak products when better ones are on the market (Seakleer and another I can't recall). PhosFree is worthless, IMO. If you are looking to do phosphates at least sell the good stuff.
In my experience removing phosphates can sometimes be useful in treating stubborn, recurring algae that isn't responding to regular treatment. It's not a situation that happens all the time, but it would probably be useful to have it on the shelves and maybe only test if context calls for it. I'll look at Seakleer.

Protecting from sunlight will help keep temps a lot lower.

Never used it but if you want to test you can get the Taylor K-1579. Appears to test concentrations of liquid chlorine up to 15%.

Note I’ve not actually bought bulk liquid chlorine myself, one local pool store near me had terrible reviews so I never visited and the other one left a bad impression on me when I tried to shop there and I never returned. I’d buy bulk if I could though for less carting around of bottles (and hopefully cheaper prices).
I'm going to try to get my hands on one of those kits, because this research is making me wonder how much strength all of the bulk chlorine has. I want to test ours (under different conditions) and some competitors.

I get my chlorine from the ACE Hardware up the road. When it comes in it tests at a 15%. They label it as 11% to account for time and sun. I will also say their tank is filled at least once a week as a lot of cleaners get their chlorine from them.

I get my chlorine from the ACE Hardware up the road. When it comes in it tests at a 15%. They label it as 11% to account for time and sun. I will also say their tank is filled at least once a week as a lot of cleaners get their chlorine from them.
Ok that makes sense. Ours is labelled at 10.5%, so if it comes in at 15% it will likely go out the door as described. For some reason I was thinking it was delivered at 10.5% but this makes more sense.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see it like life..Coach one told me if you want your criticism to mean anything should have been 7 complements before it.
If a pool store told me 90% of the time " your good, just grab a bag of baking soda for $2, I have some also if you want to save a trip"
I might trust them when they say " oh man, your water is a mess and you need all this for $200"

I stopped going because every time I went they tested in 2 minutes and handed me a print out and started grabbing stuff off the shelf and said $75.

But the other side of the coin is you make money selling so I get it :)

Is there a way you can post a list of all the test reagents they already do have and use? I suspect adding the fas/DPD test really won’t add much time or expense to things overall.
in use now (will certainly be changed; I haven't settled on exactly what as of yet)

Chlorine
R0001
R0002
R0003

Ph
R0004

Alkalinity
R0007
R0008
R0009

Calcium Hardness
R0010
R0011
R0012

Cya
R0013

Push button TDS, Salt Meter (I think it's this one)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.