Best way to test pH

Jun 10, 2018
Kihei HI
One last question for the day...I have the TF-100 test kit which comes with the K-1000 pH and Chlorine kit.
To determine pH you guess at the closest color match on the kit and liquid for measuring pH and look across to the pH number- after adding 5 drops of
phenol red. Sometimes the liquid color isn't just like what is available on the color choices.
I find it's very subjective. Is there any system to test pH with better accuracy?
Or is this color system good enough...?
I have read about pH meters but they seem way too finicky and expensive. Thanks!!

Be sure you use a white background to compare the pH readings.

I use 4 drops instead of 5. For my eyes, I get a better color match.

If you still struggle you could pick up the Taylor pH/acid demand test. It's the same except you can add (special kit acid) acid to your test to get the shade to drop and see how much acid you need to add to your pool. You can also use pool math to start figuring what your pH was with a little math.

There are also pH meters but they have upkeep

I get the best results by holding the test block at arm's length and squint a little so that the numbers and all get blurry. Against a light background (I use a white patio chair across the table) I have no problem determining whether that shade somewhere between 7.2 and 7.5 is 7.3 or 7.4.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.