Best Way to set up large Intex Ultra XTR

Poolnewbie144

Jul 2, 2020
Littleton, CO
Completely new to the pool world, bought a 32'x16'x52" ultra frame XTR. We've almost got the ground completely leveled checking everything with a Transit. Need advice on what to do under the pool for a smooth base for the liner. We have rocky soil and were thinking about doing a base of Mason sand under the liner only. But I've seen posts where using sand for a smooth base has voided Intex warranty, the pool has sunk, the sand gets washed away etc. Is using sand a bad idea? Should we be using a foam(no idea which one) underneath instead? If so what kind of foam? Anything else needed besides the ground tarp sent with the pool from Intex? Also for pavers for legs, what thickness is needed? (We got some that are 12x12 and 1.5" thick, is that okay?) We have worked ourselves silly doing this all by hand over the last two weeks and don't want to ruin all of the hard work by messing it up now.

I‘ll let someone else chime in regarding the legs. For your rocky base, probably a good idea to go with foam. It will give you more protection from any rocks that surface. I would also use a tarp, but the Intex tarp is Crud. I bought a heavy duty tarp to use under mine, on top of the Intex tarp. I also used a Gorilla pad, not foam, but I don’t have rocky soil.

i did use a layer of sand under the tarps, but only about an inch thick, just to smooth things out, not to fill in.

Don't use the 1 1/2 inch pavers, they'll snap in two when your pool is full. Use 4" concrete blocks under the legs, like these
Or use 2x6 or 2x12 ground contact pressure treated wood.

Reactions: sammckin and JeaniB
Don't use the 1 1/2 inch pavers, they'll snap in two when your pool is full. Use 4" concrete blocks under the legs, like these
Or use 2x6 or 2x12 ground contact pressure treated wood.
I can't find any pavers that are 4" thick that are the size needed. (12x12 or 15x15). Should I get two of these and just put them together?

I have the same pool. Spend the money for foam under the liner & wood under the legs. I used pressure treated 2x12’s. This pool is a beast to get put up, you don’t want to risk anything going wrong. We love pics!

Well settled on the 12"x16"x2" pressure treated wood. And consensus on whether we need two placed next to each other or just one per leg?
Also, husband said we were almost level (we aren't close) and now have to hire a company. They want to use a bucket machine and then a grader with a level? Is that okay? (I've seen talk of bobcats but not graders.) I'm so ready to just be done with this pool and wait till next summer. (We live in Colorado where the winter is super cold so sounds like we won't even have it up long before needing to take it all down for winter.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did wood more or less level with foam on my round.

Given the retangular Intex pools spell out wood under the supports and don't say to make the wood flush with the ground I'd personally just cut the foam out where the wood needs to go and put the wood directly on the ground without making it flush.

Reactions: Andrew_D
Finally got it up and legs are doing well now that we drained it. Trying to set up the filter and having issues. Trying to do the backwash for setup but it only runs great for like 60 seconds, pressure green, output good. Then it starts making noises and gets air in the basket and we have to stop it get the air out and try again. We've taken it apart and retightened all of the stuff like the directions say, but it still does this.Do we need to add anything extra to stop this air from getting in? (We followed the directions but obviously air is getting in somewhere. )

Attachments

• image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 57

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.