Best way to run SWG

TishTash

Bronze Supporter
Aug 8, 2018
Merrick, NY
Here’s a thought experiment:

Say one typically loses 3ppm a day to UV. Say the CYA is at 50, which suggests a min FC of 4, with an optimal 6-8. Which is the better system:

1) Run the SWG during the day, maintaining a steady appropriate FC level of say 6, and turning it off at night (when the FC shouldn’t decrease),

-OR-

2) Run the SWG run at night (when some places have lower electricity rates), bringing the FC, say, to 8 by the morning, letting that evaporate to 5 by the evening, and then having the SWG resupply it to 8.

I suppose the main question is: Is there anything significantly detrimental to swinging between 5 and 8 vs keeping things somewhat steady at 6 that would outweigh the potential savings running the SWG at night?

Last edited:
Well, first thing, I’d boost your CYA. 50 is low for a salt pool. See Chlorine/CYA chart in my signature.

i run mine in the evening, starting around 6. No real reason, except that if I am in it, I don’t normally run the pump, so by 6 I am usually getting the dogs fed. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: TishTash
Well, first thing, I’d boost your CYA. 50 is low for a salt pool.

I should’ve made this clear: I do not currently utilize a SWG. My post was purely a thought experiment, whose principles crossed my mind whilst reading up on SWGs in mental preparation for one eventually. That said, you’re correct that my scenario is flawed: I should’ve used 80 as the optimal value.

P.S. That reminds me: I should really raise my non-SWG CYA to 60 simply because my chlorine loss to UV during the day is beginning to cross the 4ppm threshold.

Last edited:
My post was purely a thought experiment, whose principles crossed my mind whilst reading up on SWGs in mental preparation for one eventually.
Happy reading while you ponder and mentally prepare. Make a mental note each time you see 'I kick myself for not doing it sooner' :)

• Haha
Reactions: TishTash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For what it’s worth, my SWG arrived today (after the warehouse saying it might not ship until after the holiday!). So my butt won’t be punted for too much longer.

You weren't kidding, that thought experiment turned into a real experiment real fast. You won't regret it. Time to get some salt :)

You weren't kidding, that thought experiment turned into a real experiment real fast. You won't regret it. Time to get some salt :)

FWIW, I already put in 7 bags, bringing things upto around 3500ppm, in preparation. Incidentally, why anyone would pay $13-15/bag of “pool” salt vs $5-6/bag of “water softener” crystals/pellets is beyond my ken: The difference in dissolving time was about ten seconds.

Reactions: mgtfp and mguzzy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.