Best way to keep above ground pool water temp cool?

jlyfshhh

Gold Supporter
May 28, 2020
Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I live in Georgia and our pool was at 92 degrees yesterday, it wasn't a very refreshing swim. What are some of the best ways to keep the water cool? We were thinking of getting a big sail shade to put over it.

I built a fountain when I hard plumbed the pool. Aeration and water cooling and just fun.
full

So I have one of those fountains. The strange thing is, the guy at the pool store told me it would warm my pool so I haven’t put it on yet. If it will actually cool it down, I definitely need to put it on!

I use a cheap pond fountain that I had in my shed. Lowered my temp from 92 to 82 degrees in 2 days!! Love it!

Attachments

• Nightfountain.jpeg
    Nightfountain.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 45
  • poolfountain.jpeg
    poolfountain.jpeg
    676.7 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: jark87
also run your pump at night and only run it before you want to use it during the day... That should get you about 5 degrees cooler... That is all I do now..

Reactions: thefloatqueen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I live in Georgia and our pool was at 92 degrees yesterday, it wasn't a very refreshing swim. What are some of the best ways to keep the water cool? We were thinking of getting a big sail shade to put over it.
I just add more hose water after some evaporation occurs (on the rare days my water temperature is over 87 degrees). It seems to cool it down a bit for a day or two (do it at night!) but I know that’s not the most cost-effective or sustainable way to keep your pool cooler. I actually have the opposite issue. I want mine WARMER and I don’t have a heater or use a solar cover.

EDIT: The other posters are right about aeration! It does help.

So I have done a couple tests, I used the sprinkler that came with my pool and set it to various different levels (including being super dramatic and shooting it 20ft in the air) and my pool remained 92-95 degrees. The water coming down from the sprinkler was noticeably cooler than the rest of the pool, but it didn't help much. I think it may just be too hot and humid for it to work. It is in the sun all day, there's never any shade. I will probably invest in a sail shade to put over it.

IMG_5373.jpeg

Grumps,
Your setup will work...it is a slow process.......keep it running

We're having some things misunderstood on how this works.

This works because of evaporation......not aeration The evaporative process (turning water into water vapor) releases heat from the pool water. That's why the pool water feels cooler (and it is cooler) as it falls back to the pool surface.

Run this cooler in the dry Desert of Arizona in the middle of the day and it will be very effective because the relative humidity is quite low hence there is a LOT of evaporation. Run this cooler at night in the middle of soggy Florida and you won't get as much reduction because the relative humidity is approaching 90-98%.

The lower the relative humidity (not the lower air temperature) the more evaporation can take place.

Reactions: sammckin
The lower the relative humidity (not the lower air temperature) the more evaporation can take place.

Yea I think the humidity may be what is causing it to take a long time. I am not very patient so when it didn't cause a noticable difference after a cuple days I got frustrated. I will give it time to work like you said.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.