Jan 5, 2016
Northern California
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 40,000
I am looking for ways to dispose of the used DE in the Quad Cartridge DE Filter. My equipment pad is all concrete and there is not place to flush, rinse the cartridges off that seems to be good. How are other people capturing the DE during the cleaning of their DE filter and then disposing of it? Because my filters is a cartridge type DE filter, backwashing doesn't really do much so I tear down the filter and wash off the spent DE two times per year.

Thank you!

I have no requirement to capture spent DE so I simply rinse my cartridges in a corner of the property where no one really goes and it simply mixes into the soil in that area. Some areas have strict capture requirements for DE which makes owning a DE filter impossible.

If you have no capture requirements, then just use an area where people tread the least. If you do have capture requirements, then you’ll need to shop vac out the tank and rinse the cartridges in a large bucket/trough to capture as much DE as you can. Let it dry out and then transfer it to a waste bag.

I have no requirement to capture spent DE so I simply rinse my cartridges in a corner of the property where no one really goes and it simply mixes into the soil in that area. Some areas have strict capture requirements for DE which makes owning a DE filter impossible.

If you have no capture requirements, then just use an area where people tread the least. If you do have capture requirements, then you’ll need to shop vac out the tank and rinse the cartridges in a large bucket/trough to capture as much DE as you can. Let it dry out and then transfer it to a waste bag.
I live in California so definitely have capture requirements. Thanks for the ideas!

I live in California so definitely have capture requirements. Thanks for the ideas!
A DE separation tank can be put on the backwash line.

A DE separation tank can be put on the backwash line.

It's not about backwashing (doesn't work well with Cartridge DE filters anyways. And if I do want to backwash I can run the waste to my sewer clean out with a long backwash hose. It's when I want to tear down the filter and wash down the cartridges that are coated with DE.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.