Best way to clean spa

Jan 13, 2019
Longmont, CO
So I just did my first water dump and clean and feel like maybe I could have done it better, or easier at least. I got ahh-some and followed the instructions for that, results seemed about right, not an awful totally gross amount of film left behind but a decent ring at the water line. Drained the tub and used a water/bleach mixture to scrub off the scum and wipe down the inside of the spa. Pulled out all of the jets and soaked them in the water/bleach mixed and rinsed them off. Same for the headrests. However, I had a hard time getting all of the water out of the tub - when "fully" drained there was still an inch in the bottom. Used a big sponge to get all of this out but what a pain. Then I hosed it out w/a pressure gun (or whatever those things are called) on the end of my house, and sponged that out again. Then put everything back and refilled. Here are my questions:

1) I assume there is a good, little pump out there one can use to get the water out of the bottom of the tub. Recommendations?
2) How do you know if you really have all the bad stuff out of the plumbing? I sprayed into each jet opening (w/the nozzles removed) and into the holes where the filters go, but I would love it if I could fully drain all of the lines and be able to confirm that I got them really flushed out.

Thanks in advance for your answers and suggestions!

My method is when getting toward the end of the initial draining but before it stops, I start filling with fresh water. I also direct the fresh water into the filter housing to flush the plumbing toward the drain. This extends the draining and gets more of the old water out. At some point I call it good, close the drain and refill.
Clean your filters but also replace them regularly.

1) I assume there is a good, little pump out there one can use to get the water out of the bottom of the tub. Recommendations?

I use a shop vac. Makes very quick work of any water remaining on the seats or very bottom after draining. You can also use a small cover pump sold in any pool store or Amazon. About $25

Duh, I forgot about my shop vac! It is dry/wet so problem solved! Also good to know about flushing before it empties ... I was thinking about doing this but thought maybe I needed to let the ahh-some gunk get totally flushed before pushing clean water through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.