Best way to clean post heavy bather load

Jan 13, 2019
Longmont, CO
OK, so things have been going great since converting to a SWG. Probably helps that the bather load has been low ... generally just me, occasionally joined by 1-2 other grown-ups. Last night I had 4 college-aged girls in the tub, and this morning when I got in, low and behold, foamy bubbles on the top and an unpleasant looking brownish film around the filter compartment. The water itself still looks great - really clear. So, question is, what if anything extra should I do to make sure the water gets completely clean again? If I just leave it will the filter cycles (2 hours, 2x/day) be enough to clear it out over a day or two? Should I add clarifier or anything else to speed the process? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Likely hair products and skin lotions. Chlorine will handle the sanitation aspect and some oxidation but the heavier oily compounds will just get taken in by the filter. If the film is on the acrylic surface, then you could use a Magic Eraser to rub it off. Don’t use clarifier as they really won’t help, they’ll create a slight chlorine demand, and they gum-up your filters.

Thanks. I bought one of those sponges from TF Test Kits .... couldn't really tell if it was working or not. After a couple of months it sank to the bottom of the tub so I figured it was done an chucked it. Is it really worth buying another one?

Follow up in case anyone is curious ... I upped my filter cycles from two two-hour cycles to a two-hour and a three-hour; after a couple of days the foam is 95% of what it was. My SWG was running a lot and I realized, duh, I should have probably hit it w/shock and maybe some extra chlorine so I did both - 4 tbsp of shock and 1 tbsp of chlorine. May have overdone it w/the chlorine but the water tests fine now and feels fine and remains crystal clear, and the SWG got a break. In the future I'll try to remember to shock it right away after a heavy bather load ... duh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.