Best way to add CYA W/ 0 FC

May 14, 2018
Doylestown Pa
I just open the pool yesterday and there is zero free Choorine and my CYA a is at 30. According to the CYA/FC chart for a saltwater pool I should be around 60. So should I use stabilize Chlorine pucks to get my FC and CYA up with the same product or should I Use liquid chlorine and CYA separately? Thanks I. Advance. I have a SWG but too cold right now to use it so that’s why I am using liquid. Thanks

You can use trichlor or dichlor to raise CYA and chlorinate, or do them separately. But be aware that both dichlor and trichlor are very acidic. Do you need to lower pH and TA? If not, you'd be better off adding the CYA using the granular stuff in a sock and chlorinating with bleach. It'll raise CYA faster if you do it separately. Using dry chlorine to do it will take a while to get it all dissolved.

Also note that if you have any algae at all, you're better off leaving the CYA low until the algae is eradicated.

Reactions: Nickbruce128
Separately, with the size of your pool using 8oz trichlor tabs would take a long time. Use Pool Math to estimate how many tabs you would need to raise your CYA 30 ppm.
Just to be sure test your CYA again after the test water reaches room temp to double check your current levels.

You can use trichlor or dichlor to raise CYA and chlorinate, or do them separately. But be aware that both dichlor and trichlor are very acidic. Do you need to lower pH and TA? If not, you'd be better off adding the CYA using the granular stuff in a sock and chlorinating with bleach. It'll raise CYA faster if you do it separately. Using dry chlorine to do it will take a while to get it all dissolved.

Also note that if you have any algae at all, you're better off leaving the CYA low until the algae is eradicated.

Thanks. Great advise. The pool is clear so no algae and yes the Ph is a little high 7.8. I hAve a few more gallons of liquid so does it make sense to lower ph first then add chlorine while keeping the cya at 30 for now until the salt cell starts working the bump up the cya separately. Pool temp is right at 60.

A pH of 7.8 is fine. What is your TA and CH? A full set of test results will help.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Thanks. When the pH gets to 8, lower it to 7.6, no lower. Your TA will fall slowly each time you do that and your pH rise will slow.

Thanks. When the pH gets to 8, lower it to 7.6, no lower. Your TA will fall slowly each time you do that and your pH rise will slow.
Thanks

Should I follow that rule for the whole season? When ph reaches 8 lower it to no lower than 7.6 or is that just for the time being. This is my second year with a pool so I am still fairly new but have a good understanding of most of it. I was adjusting it down to around 7.3 when I saw it reach 8ish

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As your TA lowers, your pH will stabilize and your acid demand will be reduced. Every pool has its particular balance. The TA at my tap is 170ppm and my pool water is now 70ppm with a stable pH of 7.8. Watch your CSI it is an important water balance calculation.
Does your tap water have a high TA?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.