The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I need several screening trees or tall bushes for privacy after my build is complete (Houston area). Any suggested species that won't generate much debris or interfere with the pool shell/plumbing?

I will need to have my wife identify all the bushes we have but you can see in the picture.
Our neighbor have a very large elm (I think) as well as a bradford pear that drops leaves in our pool. Very annoying but it is what it is. Both are on their property line nearest our pool area. Also Crepe Mytles and Bottlebrush are nice but keep a safe distance from pool because of what they drop. Will provide more info tomorrow.
Pool - Clear 2.jpg

I like the Italian Cypress. The grow rapidly and quite tall and robust over time. Green all year round and while they do shed some flat needles and small cones they will not move far from the tree in normal conditions. If you use a 2-3 foot spacing you can achieve a good visual block and they will grow up to 2' per year in our area. Do not plant them too close to buildings.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
I will need to have my wife identify all the bushes we have but you can see in the picture.
Our neighbor have a very large elm (I think) as well as a bradford pear that drops leaves in our pool. Very annoying but it is what it is. Both are on their property line nearest our pool area. Also Crepe Mytles and Bottlebrush are nice but keep a safe distance from pool because of what they drop. Will provide more info tomorrow.
View attachment 163957
Follow up:
Definitely do not get an elm unless far away from pool. This morning my neighbor's elm tree covered my pool in its pollen. Its like snow coming down. Crepe Myrtles also shed so do not put too close. We had 3 palm trees directly behind the pool (put in by original owner) that we finally removed because they would drop lots of shedding twice a year and became a home to squirrels. Also, once they grew over 20 ft they did not provide much privacy and became more of a nuisance. Things that worked: (large and small bushes)
Thryallis
Ginger
Abelia
Hibiscus (keep 5 ft away as they tend to drop their flowers straight down but are not green all year round)
Yaupon Holly
Plumabgo

Wax myrtle. Holly (Eagleston, Nellie R Stevens, other smaller varieties). Teddy Bear Magnolia. Dwarf Japanese blueberry (don’t get full size they get huge). Theres probably smaller arborvitae that would work really well but not familiar with how they do in the south...I think they are USDA zone 8 and TW is 9

Reactions: sham
I have read that arborvitae don’t handle the really bad heat spells (think 45-60) days above 100. I am looking for ideas as well. We are in Dallas. There is a site called tree-land.com which is for the DFW area which won’t help folks in Houston but they have a great website with information on different types of evergreen screening plants.

Reactions: sham

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Italian and leyland cypress in north Texas are very susceptible to a canker disease...not sure if it's the same in Houston, but here you see them turning brown and dying so they are advising not to plant them anymore. Hollies are great--nellie r stevens (the 3 in the middle in my pic), eagleston holly, similar to Savannah holly (the one behind the hot tub). I love my two Little Gem magnolias (the taller ones on each end of pool) some people think they are messy because they drop leaves and flower pods, but mine never blow into the pool.

Attachments

• IMG_3943.jpg
    IMG_3943.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3945.jpg
    IMG_3945.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: Oly
I personally wouldn't put trees around a pool. The roots would grow into the decking / shell. If it's shade you need or privacy, put up some umbrellas. I'd plant shallow type plants that won't have a huge root system.

I like the idea of hollys -- They don't require a lot of care. There're different sizes types and those without thorns. They hold up well in the heat and full sun. You could go to youtube and look them up - There's quite a few horticultural sites and holly is very popular.
Texas Mountain Laurel. The purple flowers smell like grape bubble gum. They can be a hedge or a small tree. I overbought these at Lowe's last year. I think I have six right now. They are slow growing.

One I'm thrilled with is Carolina Sapphire Arizona Cypress. With Christmas approaching and box stores putting out small live 'Christmas' trees, you'll find various types like this. It's hardy, does well in all soil types, withstands the heat, and has this awesome blue color. There's another one called 'Blue Ice Cypress.' The main thing is it needs to drain well so elevate the root ball above the soil level. Make a mound!

We've had great luck with Texas Sage. It's that gray plant that blooms small purple flowers when it rains. They can grow into a hedge or cut back. The root system isn't extensive.

I would say a big no on all the palm trees. They don't scream tropical to me. On some the seeds are poisonous.
Hibiscus - Unless you have an extremely green thumb and know what you're doing, skip this one. They don't do well in a freeze.
Butterfly bushes are colorful, fun, and fast growing. But they attract bees and butterflies and shed. This is really easy to grow.
No on Oleander. They're extremely poisonous to dogs and kids. All parts of the plant are poisonous.

Reactions: pjt
Here you go -- This is a broad search for privacy screen plants. Quite a few videos and I really like this channel. Of course there are other good ones out there, too.

Up here NJ I use alot of Leyland cypress. Deer dont mess with them amd they grow wide and not too tall. Evergreen type bush/tree doesnt drop anything and shallow roots
@jimmythegreek How far away from pool/concrete/pavers would you keep Leyland Cypress in terms of roots spreading down the road?

I need several screening trees or tall bushes for privacy after my build is complete (Houston area). Any suggested species that won't generate much debris or interfere with the pool shell/plumbing?
We have had good experiences with cherry laurel, they are evergreen and ours actually survived the recent 5 degree cold snap!

We have had good experiences with cherry laurel, they are evergreen and ours actually survived the recent 5 degree cold snap!
I have two of these on the west side of my home, I'm guessing they were planted in the early 1950s. Each tree is 35+ feel tall, spreading to a canopy of 30 feet, evergreen with a partial leaf drop in the spring, and no issue with the roots. They flowers in spring attract bees, they also drop huge amounts of dried flower debris in the late summer and fall and can make a mess (albiet dry) on walkways and rooftops, so keep it well away and downwind from your pool.

Look at dwarf cherry laurel.
Cherry laurels withstand heavy pruning and can be kept extremely small over many years with minor attention. Makes a good evergreen privacy hedge. We plan to use them as a hedge about 10 feet away from the pool deck, will keep them at 5-6 feet tall.

Up here NJ I use alot of Leyland cypress. Deer dont mess with them amd they grow wide and not too tall. Evergreen type bush/tree doesnt drop anything and shallow roots
I think the size might depend on where you are located. I planted a row of 3 ft tall Leyland Cypress at our old house in 2007. I drove by it the other day and they were well over 40 ft tall. They don’t drop much needles though, unlike pine.

Before the Feb '21 winter storm I would never have thought this would happen, but after almost 8 years from the day I planted them, our majestic Italian Cypress are all gone. :( I cut them down 3 weeks ago. While they survived the quick snow of 2017 (pictured below), the week-long freeze of 2021 was too much. They thinned-out and lost so much needles that my skimmer had to be emptied at least twice a day. A complete & total mess. I'll never plant a tree near a pool again. Debris and root systems are potential problems. Not always mentioned, but trees attract birds and that causes more of a mess at the pool. There are a variety of evergreen bushes and shrubs as noted above, so I would recommend those if needed, but that's about it.

I use them as screening along fencelines etc but have used them somewhat close to a patio. I would say at least 6ft if not further. Depends on the strain too, there are monster varieties, check tags on anything you purchase first

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.