Best Skimmer Socks?

JoanC

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2012
Rome, GA
I searched for best skimmer socks and got many posts from years past but nothing current.
The skimmer socks I've used for years came in a 3 pk for about $5 or $6 and held up for sometimes two seasons. I have no idea the brand.
Amazon has several differnt brands in packs of 10-15 for about $15 or so. I hesitate ordering them for fear they'll rip on first use. I've had some brands do that in the past.

So, any experience with current brands of skimmer socks?

I read that some use hairnets, paint strainers and knee high hose which I have never tried but I have had good service from the skimmer socks.

Thanks and Happy swimming!

Reactions: mkmscr
Many like those disposable type products you can get online. Pull & dispose. I prefer the Home Depot one gallon paint strainer netting products like THIS ONE. They are cheap, but I reuse them for months at a time. I just pull them out of the skimmer, flip it inside out to dump bugs and junk, then beat it against the fence to remove fine debris. Then it goes back in. I like not only the re-use factor, but they catch most of the bugs and dog hair I want caught while allowing water to flow through quite well. But some owners don't want to do that much work and just toss the disposable ones. Personal preference.

Reactions: JoanC
Joan,

I like hairnets.. Extremely cheap and no cleaning involved, you just throw them away..

I have two skimmers and two sets of skimmer baskets.. The spare set already have the hairnets installed. When it is time to empty the skimmers, I just pull the old basket out and immediately stick in the new one.. Then I take the dirty hairnet off and toss it into a bucket, install the new hairnet and the basket is ready to use for the next cycle.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you Texas Splash and Jimrahbe!
Both of those are cheap enough to give them a try.
In the meantime, I checked my old skimmer socks from last summer (which were already a year old) and I still have 2 with no holes or runs. I wish I could remember what brand these were!

Reactions: mkmscr
I found these to be quite good. They last a good amount of time:

I searched for best skimmer socks and got many posts from years past but nothing current.
The skimmer socks I've used for years came in a 3 pk for about $5 or $6 and held up for sometimes two seasons. I have no idea the brand.
Amazon has several differnt brands in packs of 10-15 for about $15 or so. I hesitate ordering them for fear they'll rip on first use. I've had some brands do that in the past.

So, any experience with current brands of skimmer socks?

I read that some use hairnets, paint strainers and knee high hose which I have never tried but I have had good service from the skimmer socks.

Thanks and Happy swimming!

I found these to be quite good. They last a good amount of time:

Thank you! I may give these a try but I tell ya, tossing a dirty and bug filled filter (hair net, paint filter) is appealing!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A few days ago I asked the group how they like skimmer socks and people raved about them. I’m weirdly excited to say after just 4 hours on my pool after my dogs were swimming, this was the result. I know a lot of people have their opinions but I’ll be a loyal customer of this maker for a long time. And the best part was after it dried, all the debris fell off with a few shakes. Best $9 I’ve spent in a long time.

Attached are the socks I purchase. Amazing.
Amazon.com : 12 Pool Skimmer Socks Filters and Baskets - Premium, Reusable Socks Traps Small Debris, Grass, Hair, Pine Needles, Leaves, Bugs, Pollen and More for In-Ground and Above Ground Swimming Pools : Garden & Outdoor

Attachments

• 3F2EAD4E-7D22-46AD-A638-D315905C4C1B.jpeg
    3F2EAD4E-7D22-46AD-A638-D315905C4C1B.jpeg
    556.1 KB · Views: 29
How reusable are those? I don’t really want a single use filter.
Probably not very; I’ve never tried to clean them but they’re pretty thin and collect a lot of fine material so I’m not sure how well cleaning would work.

From a cost standpoint, still very economical but from an environmental standpoint I understand the dilemma.

Reactions: JoanC and mkmscr
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.