Best Pressure-side Cleaner looking to replace Polaris 3900 Sport

Pesh

Apr 19, 2020
Austin, TX
I have had several Polaris cleaners over the last two decades (280, then 380, most recently 3900 (bought twice, one stolen out of my pool) for the last 10-ish years). My 3900 is starting to act up, not really doing the job. Its probably due to for major repairs or replacement.

I live in Austin, TX where cleaning our pool is a twice daily scheduled event. We leave our Polaris 3900 Sport in the pool year around and its connected to a dedicated booster pump. Because I travel a lot for work, I am looking for a cleaner that I can leave in the pool and runs on a program. It will get emptied at least once a week by our pool cleaning company.

I was reading some posts on Trouble Free Pool and see positive references for Robotic Pool Cleaners, but I don't think there are any that fit my desire of "leave in" year around.

Thanks in advance for your guidance and recommendation.

P,

What kind of cleaner is up to you, but you can leave robot cleaners in the pool if you want.. I have a couple of robots at rent houses that stay in the pool 365..

I can't help with a pressure side cleaner, but we have plenty of users here that should be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Pesh
P,

What kind of cleaner is up to you, but you can leave robot cleaners in the pool if you want.. I have a couple of robots at rent houses that stay in the pool 365..

I can't help with a pressure side cleaner, but we have plenty of users here that should be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Which Robots have you purchased and performed the best for you in terms of cleaning, maintenance, and repairability?

P,

I started using robots about 12 years ago... I bought two old used Dolphin Diagnostics off of Craig's list.. I replaced the tracks and brushes and used them for about 8 years before replacing them.. In the meantime, I built a pool at my house, and bought a new Dolphin Premier.. It is about 7 years old and still in use today.. But.. at the time it cost about $1,400. In the last couple of years I have replaced both of the used units and replaced them with the Dolphin S200s..

The S200 only cost about $700 and is a much better all around robot than my Premier.. The S200 (S300, or S300i) has a large top loading basket and is designed for maintenance.

When my Premier dies, I'll replace it with another S200.. The S200 has no extra bells or whistles that I do not use. It cleans just as well as the "fancy" ones.

Here is a link to what it looks like...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Pesh
Hi Pesh - I am in Austin also (Steiner). We bought a Polaris Quattro P40 about two weeks ago to replace an old Pentair side pressure cleaner. The P40 runs on the same booster pump. It is not a "robot" and doesn't have any internal chip to control the cleaning path. But it works great. It has a top loading debris basket and another "silt" basket that the debris basket fits in. It climbs the walls but stays off the steps and doesn't get hung up on the drains. We have a rather small pool at 12k gallon but we run it once a day for about 90 minutes and it has picked up everything on the floor every day. There is a $200 rebate available until mid-May. It is only available thru Leslies. Its a little over priced at about $1100 but is the best solution for us and works great so far. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.