Best practices for running communications / sensor wires around the pool pad?

Soupy

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Maryland
I'm finishing off my pool pad upgrade, and am wondering what to do with the low-voltage wires going from the Intellicenter to the heater remote, the IntelliChlor and Intelliflo serial cables, and the water temp sensor. Zip tie them to the electrical conduit or gas line? Run them in dedicated conduit? I guess if I want to remove the IntelliChlor for winterizing it needs to be not-too-permanent.

Soupy
The information provided below, may be a bit more than you want or need but I'll just give you everything I have on the topic and you can just pick through and see if anything might work for your particular needs.

The use of rigid and flexible conduit to run various control cables

Different control cables can be ran within rigid and flexible conduit. This also includes the use of split Wire Loom Tubing. This method makes for a cleaner pool equipment pad installation and also serves to protect the control cables from the elements and critters.

Some of the low-voltage power and/or control cables for various pool equipment, do not have connectors at the end of their cables. Those control cables are very easy to pull through conduit.

However, other control cables do have connectors at the end their cables. These cables present a challenge in order to pull through the conduit.

One solution is to oversize the conduit so the connector can be pulled through the conduit.

The other solution is to remove the connector and “make-up” the splice or connection within the low-voltage junction box.

As an example, I choose to remove the IntelliChlor connector from the bottom of the load center and install it on the bottom 2020-03-16_15-24-51.jpg
of my low-voltage junction box. I then used some extra wiring (same gauge wire) to run through the low-voltage feeder conduit and mounted and employed a four-conductor terminal block at the top of the low-voltage raceway in the IntelliCenter Load Center.

In additionIMG_5616.JPGn, I and one other TFP member I know of, cut the power/control cable of the IntelliValves and used waterproff connectors at both the load center and the low-voltage junction box to splice the five conductors. This was a lot of work but the final results lend to a much cleaner installation at the pool equipment pad.

Water proof electrical wire connector plugs used for
each IntelliValve Actuator power/control cables within
the load center low-voltage raceway and the low-voltage
junction box.

IMG_5617.JPG IMG_4647.JPG
IMG_4650.JPG 2020-03-15_21-32-27.jpg
This pump control cable is initially protected by split wire loom and then transitions to an underground rigid conduit and terminates in a low-voltage raceway knockout. A bimed cable gland is utilized at the transition point.

IMG_5084.JPG
These IntelliValve power/control cables are initially protected by split wire loom and then they transition to an underground rigid conduit and they terminate in the low-voltage junction box utilizing a bimed cable gland at the transition point.

2020-03-15_16-30-20.jpg

Attachments

• 2020-03-15_21-32-27.jpg
    2020-03-15_21-32-27.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 3
  • JQUY6797.JPG
    JQUY6797.JPG
    645.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Now that's what I call a post! Thanks. I picked up some more liquidtight, will use that for most of it. I'll use split loom on the Intellichlor just to work around the connector.
Very nice (y) You will have a nice clean equipment pad.
Please post some photos when you are all done so we can check it out.
Take care and stay safe...
r.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.