Best practice to drain anti freeze

dogman

May 8, 2014
missouri
I have been a TFP follower for years with much success. This year I will be opening the pool by myself as opposed to the pool company. missed the schedule and June is too late to open, and quite frankly looks pretty easy. Quick question, would it be best practice to drain some of the antifreeze in the main line and skimmers out the cartridge filter drain prior to fully charging the system? thought that might at least allow some of the cruddy water to drain out as opposed to being pushed (albeit post filter) back in to the pool. maybe it just does not matter in the big picture. Curious what others do.

will be opening this weekend. water temp about 58 and steady warmer weather is approaching. I have not yet tested the water but it is about as clear as you would expect if following TFP. thanks in advance.

I just turn mine on and let 'er rip. I suppose you could do a quick drain of the filter right after the first time it is just filled. Not sure what all you'd get out. Couldn't hurt. The antifreeze is potable though still if there was an easy way to get rid of it I would. Perhaps take the cartridges out of the filter, let it fill, stop the pump and empty out the filter and add in the cartridges.

i was thinking you could just either open the filter drain and slowly open the drain and skimmer valves one at a time to fill the filter compartment but it would just drain if the valve was wide open and the top air release valve open. I suppose you could keep the 2 pump drain plugs out and let it drain a little that way too. I figure that there is a least 6 gallons of antifreeze in the lines and maybe you get 2-3 out that way?? Maybe just not worth the effort.

you can't vacuum to waste? I have a Jandy valve between my pump and filter. I can just turn the valve to block the filter and the water will discharge on the ground when I start up the pump. All the antifreeze gets removed from the pool this way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.