Best practice for SmartPure® Ozonator/UV with issue

rknsley

Nov 22, 2020
McKinney Texas
Hello, new to the forum, and pools.

I have a fairly new pool (using SmartPure Ozonator/UV) completed and started up in Nov 2020. It was running until we had the winter excitement with snow and freezing temps. During which I shutdown the system because of concern of pipes, equipment freezing. I started up the system about 4 weeks ago, and began the bi-weekly brushing once again to start the clean up. I have noticed that when brushing the pool, I get what resembles a dust cloud under water (sort-of).

I was told to shock it and this should resolve my issues within a day or two, but have no knowledge of this.

My questions is, how do I eliminate the dust cloud like issue?
thanks

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I also should have mentioned that I have been frequenting the "L" box store for my tests. Below are my results from 031921. I hope this helps.

TestIdeal RangeResult
Free Chlorine1 - 4 ppm4.05
Total ChlorineWithin 0.2 of FAC4.05
pH7.2 - 7.87.8
Total Alkalinity80 - 120 ppm84
Calcium Hardness200 - 400 ppm107
Cyanuric Acid30- 100 ppm47
Iron0 - 0.2 ppm0
Copper0 - 0.2 ppm0
Phosphates0 - 100 ppb0
TDS0 - 2500 ppm300

Not much value is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional” would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their In most cases, the testing. is inaccurate and non-repeatable. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

When you get your proper test kit, post up the results here and we can provide you some guidance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You will want to reconsider using the trichlor tablets only as that method is not sustainable.

If you like videos, take a look at some of these.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.