Silver Supporter
Jun 2, 2020
Iowa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I searched and read some older threads but with technology ever improving I thought I would start a new thread!

I'm looking for one that will stream to an app on my phone and send me motion alerts when I want it to. What would you recommend?

I have a Nest outdoor camera overlooking my pool and another overlooking my equipment pad. You can set zones and get alerts for movement, people faces, etc. I have found that the Nest cameras have the most versatility. I also like because they are plugged in (which is also an issue if you do not have easy access to electrical socket). Furthermore the new app you can purchase cloud storage for up to 60 days for as many cameras as you like. It is a subscription so that is extra.
I have used RING camera as well but it was battery operated and had to remember to charge it every 4-6 weeks. Also, not as many options to get notices but it was useful. Either will meet your needs and dependent on your budget.

Reactions: TexasBR and Snoobug
I have some wyze cams - they’re super cheap $25 & give alerts for motion as well as sound if u like. I have them under eaves & in little birdhouse style boxes that cost like $9 on amazon. Pretty pleased with their performance. My older cams are funlux & have motion alerts but not sound. They were also around $30 & have held up well. They’re designed to be outdoors but all mine are under cover

Reactions: Snoobug
If you are already tied into the Amazon/Alexa ecosystem, then Ring cameras are probably the best if you want the easiest interoperability. As mentioned above, they can provide cloud storage for 60 days for a subscription. Others may tie in just as easy (perhaps) but none will tie in easier. There are many choices for their security devices: cameras, floodlight cameras, doorbells, drones (coming), etc. and then multiply those by their method of receiving power (plug, hardwired, low voltage and POE). They are not cheap, though they are good.

I have a $300 PTZ cam on my pool (Pan, Tilt, Zoom). The zoom can fill my screen with an edge tile. I can see pebbles on the bottom. With pan I can look around the yard, including checking the status of the gate locks. The color is amazing, so I can see the water condition. Water level, too. If it weren't for the air conditioner, I'd be able to examine my equipment pad as well. It's a POE cam, which means it's hardwired to a POE ethernet switch, so it get's its power from a single ethernet cable: not subject to batteries or WiFi troubles. Rock solid.

The image is incredible no matter the lighting conditions or distance from cam (up to 320+ feet), even in the dead of night.

I haven't tried the motion detection yet, I'm waiting to install a better piece of software than what came with it. But the cam does have the capability. Zones and all that, too. And it has presets, and it moves very fast, so click: gate, click: pool, click: water level, etc.

I would say my cam setup is at the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of price and function. Just pointing out the possibilities.

Amcrest brand. They make several models, with and without POE, different zoom levels and resolutions, etc.

It's quite large. I disguised it with a wooden box painted to match the house, so it's not too bad. But part of the security aspect of cams is making them obvious to "the bad guys." They definitely can't miss this beast!

I have a $300 PTZ cam on my pool (Pan, Tilt, Zoom). The zoom can fill my screen with an edge tile. I can see pebbles on the bottom. With pan I can look around the yard, including checking the status of the gate locks. The color is amazing, so I can see the water condition. Water level, too. If it weren't for the air conditioner, I'd be able to examine my equipment pad as well. It's a POE cam, which means it's hardwired to a POE ethernet switch, so it get's its power from a single ethernet cable: not subject to batteries or WiFi troubles. Rock solid.

The image is incredible no matter the lighting conditions or distance from cam (up to 320+ feet), even in the dead of night.

I haven't tried the motion detection yet, I'm waiting to install a better piece of software than what came with it. But the cam does have the capability. Zones and all that, too. And it has presets, and it moves very fast, so click: gate, click: pool, click: water level, etc.

I would say my cam setup is at the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of price and function. Just pointing out the possibilities.

Amcrest brand. They make several models, with and without POE, different zoom levels and resolutions, etc.

It's quite large. I disguised it with a wooden box painted to match the house, so it's not too bad. But part of the security aspect of cams is making them obvious to "the bad guys." They definitely can't miss this beast!
Do your neighbors know about this camera's capabilities?? 🎥 :LOL:

• Haha
I have 15 Blink cameras and have had them for two years. It is a very basic camera system but we have had no issues with them. No cloud fees, wireless and dependable. Your clips are stored on a sync module in your home. I was very thankful we had them when this happened this spring. The motion alerts worked perfectly when this happened. They work with Alexa As well.

Attachments

• 5D92F3A7-4D31-49E9-BD07-E15326EEA1E9.jpeg
    5D92F3A7-4D31-49E9-BD07-E15326EEA1E9.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Do your neighbors know about this camera's capabilities?? 🎥 :LOL:
Sort of. But every house either already has or is about to have their own systems, too. Our block is totally covered. We are all contemplating putting a sign at each end of the block, warning passersby that the entire street is under video surveillance! Love it. You can't secure a residential home. The goal is to make your home slightly less enticing than the neighbors. We're working on making our entire block less enticing than the next one! I wanted to enhance the video warning sign, but got vetoed... Something simple:

images.jpeg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you get AI software, you can enhance the image resolution and lighting.

AI can do motion analysis, facial recognition, etc.

If you combine the image with good FLIR thermal images, you can enhance the night vision. Thermal is especially useful for larger property.

D--- you James! Not only because I want all four. But because I don't know which first!! I have some really good coverage, inside and out, but it took a lot of PTZ cams and I still couldn't get 100%. Drones, yah baby!!

I have 5 outdoor cams & 1 indoor (to watch the dog when I’m away)
Along w/ a driveway alarm & self contained door/window alarms & semi automatic personal safety devices.
I have this sign on a tree @ the entrance to my 5 acres (it def makes people think twice about stealing your mail 🤣)
EFAA3B50-D0DC-42E1-97E2-60E5442EB970.jpeg

Only $11,930 for the outdoor drone. Dirk you should get 2.

Also, next month my impact glass and doors get installed. They are large missile rated. Which means they can withstand a 9 lb 2x4 fired at them at 50fps. I am pretty sure the house next door is an easier target.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: EzriJax and Snoobug
I am totally into the ring ecosystem. I have doorbell and two floodlight cams which supplement my other high resolution hard wired cameras. Once the new windows are installed, I will switch over to the ring alarm.

The drones are interesting, but until they can get them to fly for more than 15 minutes at at time, or maybe change their own batteries, they could be defeated pretty easily. You'd still need a complete stationary cam system, or a whole lot more than just two of them!

Plus, everything I own lumped together is worth less than $11K, so there's that.

Now, if they came with a pool vac/brush attachment... hmmm...

I’m super “thrifty” so i always opt for cams w/ no fees w/free apps that can hold sd cards for local storage. All mine are plugged in except for “Rebel Cam 2” which is a new wyze rechargeable outdoor cam. I only turn it on when she’s in the pen about 1/2 acre away from the house which is almost never since she usually just guards the recliner if i need to leave for a bit. I didn’t expect the reg wyze cams to hold up so well outdoors but they’ve done great in their little enclosures. Tech changes so quickly I just can’t bring myself to spend big $$ on it.
I am savin’ that dough for a robot though! 🤣🤣

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.