Best Pool Alarm for Kids / Animals

Hey Mercat !!! They measure the ripples and sadly don't know the difference between a stiff breeze and an emergency. Everyone has a different patience threshold for false alarms but said threshold doesn't take long to reach.

Katchakid is an awesome company that solves that problem 2 different ways. It's going to cost more than the $34 alarm, but your wee ones and doggos are worth every penny. I like them as it's easily removable for swim days or when the kids are old enough.

The Safety Turtle is probably the only one that really works without causing false alarms, but it requires putting a wristband on children and a collar on animals to work.

A good fence with childproof latches on the gates combined with the Safety Turtle and reinforcement of the rule that you don’t go into the pool area alone is the best safety.

I like a multi layered approach with the suggestions above - similar to security systems as that is what you are doing, securing your pool area.
*Some sort of physical barrier (self latching gate/ safety cover,pool fence),
*water monitoring for small children like the turtle,
*door & window alarms,
&
*motion sensor or camera that alerts you 🚨.
This way if one layer fails you have another to fall back on.
I have a camera with motion alerts sent to my phone, door & window alarms/chimes & a fence around the pool deck & a self latching gate with a magnalatch on it.
I have contemplated getting another standalone motion sensor placed where only motion on the pool deck would set it off to add to the base station of the one I already have at the end of my drive way as it is very loud & i can hear it throughout my home. You can connect multiple sensors to it & pick a different tone for each one. It has been extremely reliable in the 6yrs i have owned it - i swear i have only had to change the sensor’s batteries like 3 times.
Chamberlain Group CWA2000 Chamberlain Driveway Alert, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ISVJL...t_i_K2EQNGA7NXW3T98BHWJG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: proavia and Newdude
I researched this issue thoroughly when we got our pool up, and there's just not an easy answer for water motion alarms. Everything stated above by posters is spot on! Motion alarms all come with pros and cons to each, some more cons than pros, but even that is subjective to what your needs and use of pool require. I settled for the Pool Patrol, which is simple, BUT it's my least reliance method!! It's just for when wee ones are here and I can tune to that day's conditions and then as backup to everything else only.

Mostly rely first and foremost on adult diligence in attention!!!! Since our pool is inside yard fence, it's open to house, so we put deadbolts high up on back doors for when wee ones visit. Next, my home alarm system notice of any door opening. The list could go on to a life buoy for that EB pictured that I'm told will sink like a rock. Short version, with safety, there always, always, needs to be multiples of contingencies planned and implemented.

Reactions: proavia and Newdude
I like a multi layered approach with the suggestions above - similar to security systems as that is what you are doing, securing your pool area.
*Some sort of physical barrier (self latching gate/ safety cover,pool fence),
*water monitoring for small children like the turtle,
*door & window alarms,
&
*motion sensor or camera that alerts you 🚨.
This way if one layer fails you have another to fall back on.
I have a camera with motion alerts sent to my phone, door & window alarms/chimes & a fence around the pool deck & a self latching gate with a magnalatch on it.
I have contemplated getting another standalone motion sensor placed where only motion on the pool deck would set it off to add to the base station of the one I already have at the end of my drive way as it is very loud & i can hear it throughout my home. You can connect multiple sensors to it & pick a different tone for each one. It has been extremely reliable in the 6yrs i have owned it - i swear i have only had to change the sensor’s batteries like 3 times.
Chamberlain Group CWA2000 Chamberlain Driveway Alert, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ISVJL...t_i_K2EQNGA7NXW3T98BHWJG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
How do you get the camera to not notify you when you are actually at the pool.

I loved this company idea. Problem is they have been out of stock for over a year. Wonder if its still being made.
I sent them an email asking. We shall see.

How do you get the camera to not notify you when you are actually at the pool.
I either ignore the alerts or mute them then clear them later. I never turn them off. It was very useful when my mom stayed with me due to medical problems & she wanted to use the pool while i was working, I could check that she was ok.
I have multiple cams outside so i am used to the alerts & know when they are unexpected vs expected. I also like the ability to check on my pool when I’m away to verify the robot runs on schedule for example or that the pump came on when it was supposed to etc. I have it pointed in a direction that I can see a jet moving the water & the skimmer.

I either ignore the alerts or mute them then clear them later. I never turn them off. It was very useful when my mom stayed with me due to medical problems & she wanted to use the pool while i was working, I could check that she was ok.
I have multiple cams outside so i am used to the alerts & know when they are unexpected vs expected. I also like the ability to check on my pool when I’m away to verify the robot runs on schedule for example or that the pump came on when it was supposed to etc. I have it pointed in a direction that I can see a jet moving the water & the skimmer.
If you have some video footage to share i would be curious to see how you have it set up.
My issue with the alerts is that when people choose to ignore them on occasion, the become less in tune to it which can lead to a bigger issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I loved this company idea. Problem is they have been out of stock for over a year. Wonder if its still being made.
They responded that they are working on some new products which should be out in the next few months.
There was no additional information provided. I guess we wait and see now.

If you have some video footage to share i would be curious to see how you have it set up.
My issue with the alerts is that when people choose to ignore them on occasion, the become less in tune to it which can lead to a bigger issue.
This is why I suggested layers, not just a camera - my cam also faces my shop so i know if someone is down there- you could theoretically point the camera to where it only shows the pool just like with a motion sensor.
Here’s a pic- my camera is under the eave of my patio so it is protected from the elements a little. Please ignore my Sandford & Son yard lol 😂
My kids are older now so I never added a motion sensor that dinged loudly in the house like i have at the end of my driveway.
6FF7FE11-9317-4355-B589-E927B19315D0.jpeg

Just wanted to bring this back to the table...
Seems like today is the last day for their preorder. I ordered one for our pool and hope to use it this summer.

My concern which the company addressed was, that our swimming season doesnt start till June time and they plan on shipping in April with a 15 day return policy.
They told me that i can order it now at the 999 price (vs 1499) and request the date of delivery, while still getting my 15 day return policy.

Product can be found here at: MYLO - MYLO
A few videos on their youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/@coralsmartpool9334/videos
I am not affiliated with the company... I am just hoping that this is the one...

Reactions: Mdragger88
Just wanted to bring this back to the table...
Seems like today is the last day for their preorder. I ordered one for our pool and hope to use it this summer.

My concern which the company addressed was, that our swimming season doesnt start till June time and they plan on shipping in April with a 15 day return policy.
They told me that i can order it now at the 999 price (vs 1499) and request the date of delivery, while still getting my 15 day return policy.

Product can be found here at: MYLO - MYLO
A few videos on their youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/@coralsmartpool9334/videos
I am not affiliated with the company... I am just hoping that this is the one...

Did you end up getting this? i am trying to find some info about how it actually works. It's a steep price but i think worth it if the system works as advertised. What has your experience been like?