Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

Not sure why HD switched from HTH to Pool Essentials (what Walmart sells), but it's not as clear. HD is only place I find anything 10% (although Lowes has some but usually old). Even adding a fresh 5g to my tank, it's very cloudy and greenish. Wish they'd change back!

Attachments

• PXL_20210920_181944758.jpg
    PXL_20210920_181944758.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 21
Does anyone know the magic date that Walmart stops selling pool bleach? I really need to learn the final day before they go from ransacking multiple isles of 'summer goods' to all Halloween Crud in the span of a night.

Also does anyone know of any chain that is consistent for a supply of liquid chlorine late in the season? I'm in Greenville SC and once Walmart does their aforementioned Fall switch, I'm stuck hunting through 2 or 3 local HDs that never restock bleach and 2 Lowes that try and sell bleach thats a year or more old.

Does anyone know the magic date that Walmart stops selling pool bleach? I really need to learn the final day before they go from ransacking multiple isles of 'summer goods' to all Halloween Crud in the span of a night.

Also does anyone know of any chain that is consistent for a supply of liquid chlorine late in the season? I'm in Greenville SC and once Walmart does their aforementioned Fall switch, I'm stuck hunting through 2 or 3 local HDs that never restock bleach and 2 Lowes that try and sell bleach thats a year or more old.
Do you ever get to Morganton, NC? There is a Rural King there. Around here, their stores still have a stock.

Or HD almost always has Pool Essentials Chlorinating liquid at some point during the week. But it's getting more hit and miss.

I'm in Greenville SC and once Walmart does their aforementioned Fall switch, I'm stuck hunting through 2 or 3 local HDs that never restock bleach and 2 Lowes that try and sell bleach thats a year or more old.
I looked at the Pinch A Penny website and they show to have a store in Greenville SC. They have their own direct supply of LC. They sell it in 2.5gal containers. I use them all the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
North Dallas/Denton County, TX Area update

Ollie's in Lewisville has quite a bit of 10% liquid as well as Cal-Hypo 1 lb bags. The bags are near the front of the store and the liquid is near the back. They also have more liquid in the stock room.

FYI, for those still needing some to finish out the season.

Reactions: Scoop
Looks like the cost of liquid is about equal to cost of pucks these days (still cheaper at $4/g 10%). I was going to buy some pucks to float 1/week while cover is on (my cya seems to drop 25-30 over the summer). They're like $3 per puck these days ($6/#)! At least they don't go bad, so can use them for a year or two.

Things have warmed up where I live, so I uncovered my pool to vacuum up leaves & debris, before algae can grow (no, I don't keep the Cl high over the winter). Pool temp was 43. I thought I'd burn out some of the organic material dissolved in the water while I was at it, so I needed to get more liquid chlorine. As reliably as winter turns to summer, I noticed Cl prices had gone up a bit.
Home Depot in SF Bay Area, $10 for 2 gal. 10%. (Lowe's similar product is $12/2g)

I recently bought a SUV-style vehicle and was anxious about carrying the boxes of 2x1gal of liquid Cl to home in my car. I used to wedge them between front & rear seats, or maybe in the foot space of the front passenger seat. But I didn't want to risk any unnoticed leak ruining the car. I feel the boxes could slide and fall over in the storage area of the car. (Also, the box requires you to have it in a separate compartment (which the car doesn't have).)

So I invested in a $16 15G Husky Latch & Tote bin. I looked through all the store's bins and I felt this was clearly the best fit. I could try the boxes in the bin right there in the store. 3 boxes (6G) of Cl fit in it snugly (well, a little tight on the height, but I can still latch it). I feel comfortable now taking 2 or 3 boxes of Cl inside it in my trunk area. Nothing can tip over. If anything did spill or leak, the Husky bin should contain the spill until I can deal with it.

With 6G of Cl, it weighs a bit over 50 pounds, but it is easy to take the boxes out, dealing with nothing heavier than individual boxes.
Home Depot's HDX chlorine boxes are the same size as Lowe's KemTek boxes. Taller gallon jugs (HTH round jugs $8.50/1g) from Ace Hardware would require leaving the lid of the bin off. (I think I saw HTH chlorine at a local Lucky's Supermarket but didn't check the price.)

At home, it keeps the boxes out of sight. When I get down to one box, I'll pull it out and take the bin back to the store to carry more home.

Things have warmed up where I live, so I uncovered my pool to vacuum up leaves & debris, before algae can grow (no, I don't keep the Cl high over the winter). Pool temp was 43. I thought I'd burn out some of the organic material dissolved in the water while I was at it, so I needed to get more liquid chlorine. As reliably as winter turns to summer, I noticed Cl prices had gone up a bit.
Home Depot in SF Bay Area, $10 for 2 gal. 10%. (Lowe's similar product is $12/2g)

I recently bought a SUV-style vehicle and was anxious about carrying the boxes of 2x1gal of liquid Cl to home in my car. I used to wedge them between front & rear seats, or maybe in the foot space of the front passenger seat. But I didn't want to risk any unnoticed leak ruining the car. I feel the boxes could slide and fall over in the storage area of the car. (Also, the box requires you to have it in a separate compartment (which the car doesn't have).)

So I invested in a $16 15G Husky Latch & Tote bin. I looked through all the store's bins and I felt this was clearly the best fit. I could try the boxes in the bin right there in the store. 3 boxes (6G) of Cl fit in it snugly (well, a little tight on the height, but I can still latch it). I feel comfortable now taking 2 or 3 boxes of Cl inside it in my trunk area. Nothing can tip over. If anything did spill or leak, the Husky bin should contain the spill until I can deal with it.

With 6G of Cl, it weighs a bit over 50 pounds, but it is easy to take the boxes out, dealing with nothing heavier than individual boxes.
Home Depot's HDX chlorine boxes are the same size as Lowe's KemTek boxes. Taller gallon jugs (HTH round jugs $8.50/1g) from Ace Hardware would require leaving the lid of the bin off. (I think I saw HTH chlorine at a local Lucky's Supermarket but didn't check the price.)

At home, it keeps the boxes out of sight. When I get down to one box, I'll pull it out and take the bin back to the store to carry more home.
I have a rav4 & almost never come home from wally world without a jug of liquid chlorine in the back in the summer. I have had a spill/ leak a few times but there was no harm to my rubber cargo mat. I just wiped it up with a wet rag & rinsed well. The first time it happened I thought it might bleach it out over time but nope - all good 👍🏻

Reactions: Newdude

Oye. Thank goodness I bit the bullet and went with a SWCG. Makes those LC runs almost obsolete!

Reactions: Newdude
LC at Lowe's just now was $5.98/gallon (Pool Essentials, 10%). Ace Hardware is showing $5.48/gal online (HTH, 10%).

I've never found any in Home Depot since I started looking in Aug. (Tried again today.)

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support