Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

Suggest you search for NAPCO store. The one in Houston (Spring, TX area) sells to the public 3 days a week in 5gal containers. This is the best bulk store I have found.
Highly recommend you buy the 7 gallon aquatainers on Amazon and have them fill those. Better handle, a spout, and obviously holds more. The 5 gallon containers they sell spill everywhere when I try to pour from them. They’re awful.

But yeah, <$2/gallon for fresh 12.5% is impossible to beat.

Highly recommend you buy the 7 gallon aquatainers on Amazon and have them fill those. Better handle, a spout, and obviously holds more. The 5 gallon containers they sell spill everywhere when I try to pour from them. They’re awful.

But yeah, <$2/gallon for fresh 12.5% is impossible to beat.
Thanks. I bought a transfer pump at Harbor Freight.

For anyone near a Woodman's grocery store, and specifically the one in Buffalo Grove, IL, they have started stocking the 12.5% 4 packs again this year. Price went up by .49/CASE so still a prety good price at 10.49/case for 12.5%. BUT they are limiting purchases to one CASE per day per person.

Hopefully that is relaxed once the season gets going otherwise the cost in gasoline is going to eat into any savings over closer stores that charge more per gallon.

✌️

Last edited:
Reactions: Vanmat530
For anyone near a Woodman's grocery store, and specifically the one in Buffalo Grove, IL, they have started stocking the 12.5% 4 packs again this year. Price went up by .49/CASE so still a prety good price at 10.49/case for 12.5%. BUT they are limiting ourchases to one CASE per day per person.

Hopefully that is relaxed once the season gets going otherwise the cost in gasoline is going to eat into any savings over closer stores that charge more per gallon.

✌️
$2.50 a gallon? Wow

no chlorine in NEPA. i bought last 10 from a local pool place. My dad got me the last 4 at Leslie's. none at the 3 walmarts or the other leslie's all dried up here. plenty of pucks to go around. leslie's told my dad to tell me to just use pucks. he said "my son would never". I said good boy dad. . .. good boy. . ." you have taught me all ur wisdom my whole life and now I have paid it forward to you"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are OK with adding calcium to the pool, then Cal-Hypo is a reasonable alternative. The price has gone up since that post to about $3.30/lb.

The nice thing about cal-hypo, kept dry it does not degrade like Liquid Chlorine. It is a "good" alternative to LC if it not available. It is a type of shock, but doesn't have stabilizer (CYA). Dichlor shock should not be used, as it is stabilized with CYA.

Most here "poo poo" cal-hyp powder. In 50kb containers it is about $3/lb, delivered. It does not go bad over time. Yes, it raises CH, but not like CYA. And it is a lot less messy than LC.
I know I’ll get negative feedback, but at the end of last season, I bought 15 gallons from Walmart/Lowe’s of Pool Essentials 12.5% Chlorinating Liquid - dated 2020 and a few with a 2019 code. I only use to open/close pool. Stored in basement level of house in a dark closet where my well water enters the house. I used Pool Math to SLAM on opening early last month and had no issues reaching the recommended levels with the exact amount specified. I certainly don’t disagree with the science, but apparently the degradation was minor enough to not require additional doses to bring to SLAM level and maintain.

Since chlorine is in such short supply, wouldn’t “older” chlorine be worthy of consideration?

I open my SWG early each year before I can purchase chlorine locally and it has not been an issue in the last 4 years.

Since chlorine is in such short supply, wouldn’t “older” chlorine be worthy of consideration?
Sure, if you know how it was stored. If you store it in a cool, dark place, it maybe be still potent. In the Texas heat, in a garage (we do not have basements), it has a limited shelf life. And Home Depot stores all of the pool chemicals in the outside section of the Garden Center.

You can always test the LC. I posted something on here about this last summer before I converted to a SWG. Some of my 10% LC was actually about 8%. If you know, you can adjust pool math to your exact % LC.

I'll trade a gallon of chlorine for a gallon of gasoline.
I laughed but … just bought a new truck and had cancel a planned camping trip as truck requires 500 mile break in b4 towing. So, now I can’t get gas to break in the truck and can’t swim cuz it’s too cold 😢. But my new salt cell is working! And yes, I’m lucky to have such insignificant problems compared to others.

... Stored in basement level of house in a dark closet where my well water enters the house. I used Pool Math to SLAM on opening early last month and had no issues reaching the recommended levels with the exact amount specified. I certainly don’t disagree with the science, but apparently the degradation was minor enough to not require additional doses to bring to SLAM level and maintain.
This has always been my experience as well. Before the pandemic last year, I would purchase almost a full years worth of 12.5% from my local Menards when had their BOGO sale in early Spring (1.99 gal equivalent) and never had any issues with degredation.

Even had some left over one year that worked just fine opening the following spring.

I am sure the cool dark storage is the key to our successful storage.

My salt cell is on so I’m good to go but I bought 20 gallons total for the fall in case until closing. So now if the gas situation doesn’t hit pa and it gets better in North Carolina since the pipeline is back on I guess I can relax for my beach trip in a few weeks. Lol. First world problems I know but I haven’t been away in 2 years now and have been working literally 6 days a week for the past year and half. I need a few days. I always post on here randomally about all the fishing I do and so far I have been out like 5 times.

Our local walmart (checked 2 stores) are out of stock. Lowe's shows for just under $4.50/gallon and Home Depot shows out of stock, but at $4.00/gallon. I called our local pool stores and one of them has 5gallon containers for $18 + $8 deposit. That works out to $3.60/gallon before taxes (of course I know it factors more because of the deposit). I think I'll be buying the 5 gallon containers. I should buy one of those transfer pumps linked above and pump it into 1 gallon jugs for ease of use.

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support