Best place to buy a new filter?

DAB942

Gold Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Space Coast, FL
I have a 150 cartridge, which I have learned is far too small for our pool. I'm looking at at least 500. I started receiving Dohenny catalogs and it triggered my interest and need. I'm getting our heater removed, today and will have much more space on the pad for the large filter. Is there a better brand and place to purchase?

The 320 can be shipped and is in stock.. My pool is open 9 months and I clean mine once a year but I have no trees or anything like that to deal with..
Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, 320 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter

There may be a place near you that has a 420 or 520 in stock but your going to have to call around to see.. :)

The 320 can be shipped and is in stock.. My pool is open 9 months and I clean mine once a year but I have no trees or anything like that to deal with..
Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, 320 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter

There may be a place near you that has a 420 or 520 in stock but your going to have to call around to see.. :)
I've read that 100 sq/ft of cartridge per 10000 gallons. Is this accurate? I some times clean mine every month. We get sand in the spa -- the pool has the robot.

I've read that 100 sq/ft of cartridge per 10000 gallons
That’s possibly true for the water alone, but those calculations never take into account the vast differences in your possible environment. Pollen or farm dust will overrun that ratio quickly.

You also live in what we affectionately call the land of the rinky dink filters. FL builders always go cheap for some reason. I had 500 sq ft for 35k gallons for comparison.

We always recommend the larger at filter you can afford and fit. Pollen season takes them all out and a bigger filter will always come in handy. Kinda like the SWGs, the original buy in is usually the biggest cost. Going up a few sizes gets you much better performance for less respective cost.

Reactions: RubiconValley
300s + would be good
400s + would be great
500s+ would be exceptional

it’s like anything else, You have to spend some once to do it right. :) In this case you will reap the benefits for 2 decades.
I agree... Once I get the new pool built depending on how the 320 does I may grab a new 520 lid and new 520 filters... the easy way to upgrade :)

Reactions: Newdude
It’s plenty big and I like the plastic clamp. The metal belts with the spring clamp on the Pentairs give everyone problems eventually, but they are fairly cheap to replace too so I’m just nitpicking them.

Also look at the S8M500 or S7M450 if you can find it. (I think the 450 is discontinued). There is nothing inside but the 2 big filters. They plug directly into the housing and there is literally nothing to break. The 4 filter models have a connecting piece and gaskets to hold the tops and bottoms in place and there is more to go wrong.

The other big plus of the SM’s are the 8 indestructible clamps. No tools needed, just a big twisty knob and they tighten down in a lug nut star pattern a little on each one.

Reactions: RubiconValley

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’s plenty big and I like the plastic clamp. The metal belts with the spring clamp on the Pentairs give everyone problems eventually, but they are fairly cheap to replace too so I’m just nitpicking them.

Also look at the S8M500 or S7M450 if you can find it. (I think the 450 is discontinued). There is nothing inside but the 2 big filters. They plug directly into the housing and there is literally nothing to break. The 4 filter models have a connecting piece and gaskets to hold the tops and bottoms in place and there is more to go wrong.

The other big plus of the SM’s are the 8 indestructible clamps. No tools needed, just a big twisty knob and they tighten down in a lug nut star pattern a little on each one.
Looks cool. I'm pretty sure I saw that on Lost in Space.

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Again, I’m nitpicking and almost had to get a 4 cartridge system with the shortages. I would have done so in a heartbeat knowing there are millions in service.

the funny looking one just has a better design IMHO. Easy to clean the insides, even the small filter. 159E86B4-7760-4A4B-BB81-FCB68F3DE794.jpegD6860AFC-65CD-4E80-A3C1-2D94B3288ACE.jpeg

C6C98736-6F96-4FF0-ADBE-701E01C362B9.jpeg

Plus Dabs….. you know the drill. See a psi issue while out checking the equipment. *sigh*. Go get the socket set. Wait. It’s not there. Where did I leave it ? Oh, right. I fixed the toilet tank and left it in the bathroom in case the toilet had any drips the next day. Smart. Lalalalalalala go get the socket set and fix the filter. put it back together but the belt is giving problems. *sigh*. I need the mallet. Where did I leave it ? :laughblue:

Being able to crack that bad boy open on the spot has its merits.

Plus Dabs….. you know the drill. See a psi issue while out checking the equipment. *sigh*. Go get the socket set. Wait. It’s not there. Where did I leave it ? Oh, right. I fixed the toilet tank and left it in the bathroom in case the toilet had any drips the next day. Smart. Lalalalalalala go get the socket set and fix the filter. put it back together but the belt is giving problems. *sigh*. I need the mallet. Where did I leave it ? :laughblue:

Being able to crack that bad boy open on the spot has its merits.
Yeah -- that's my concern, too.

Ran across this -- not sure it if it's legit:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.