Best online sites to purchase a quality pump?

Jun 18, 2016
Bells, TN
After dealing with some electrical issues, we found that the motor on our 1.5 HP Hayward pump was burnt out. Some made the suggestion to try to replace the motor. I'm not sure exactly what model it is other than it being a super pump, I'm not sure when it came out. Anyway it was a single speed pump and I would rather upgrade to at least a two speed pump. We have a sand filter in our pool is 20 x 40. Variable speed is not really in my budget. Our local pool store only has a single speed available at this time. What are your suggestions for the best dual speed pumps and where to find them online?

Well there are only two retailers in my area that will install the pump. I don't have the option to purchase one online and have a pool company install the pump because they don't cover any failure with warranty coverage after installation. So when I ask them if they carried a dual speed pump and what brands they sold I was told that dual speed pumps last about half the time that a single speed wood and that the cost would start around $1,200 and would take years for me to recoup any energy savings. I don't entirely believe that. I have read some reviews and issues about dual speed pumps not lasting as long because of other various issues but I have seen
dual speed models that are well below $1,200. This is very frustrating to me.

I switched from a 1.5 HP super pump 2 to a 1.65 Pureline VS and Its hard to compare side by side but for the month of may my power bill dropped $45 and this year was actually hotter then last.
Plus it is a LOT quieter, if you can do basic PVC plumbing it's a fairly simple install.. Could find a good " handy man" to do it for a couple hours labor I would think.
INYO is good about helping and some are direct replacements.

I just got off the phone with the pool company. There are only two retailers in my area that sell and install pool pumps. I asked if I could purchase a pump online and have them install it and that I was interested in a dual speed pumphe asked me why I was interested in dual speed and when I expressed that I would like to save on energy costs he basically said that do speed pumps break down much sooner and the cost of replacing the motors would exceed the savings and that it would take me years to recoup any energy savings because the cost of a dual speed pump would start around $1,200. I have seen plenty of pumps online that are well below $1,200. I have read a few things about people having problems with dual speed motors. This is all very frustrating to me.

Whoever it is you are talking to on the phone is full of it. They are trying to scare you, so you will a pump from them, and not online. They are out of their minds and flat out lying to you.
That's what I figured. I'll have to find someone to do it on the side. He was saying that he is always replacing 2 speed motors and when they switch back and forth they put out more heat and tear up quicker. What kind of place doesn't have a selection to offer based on what a customer wants? I felt like he was just trying to push inventory on me and all they have on hand is single speed. They said they won't even install something from anywhere but their store. Sigh!

There are a lot of people, and I mean LOTS on TFP, that have 2 speed pumps, and if they were constantly burning up, we would know about it and would not be recommending TFPers to use them.

If you dont feel comfy doing it yourself, you can get a handyman to do it for you, or get a friend who's handy to help you. A plumber or electrician might be willing to do it for you. Replacing a pump is pretty simple.

One thing to look for while pump shopping. 2 Speed pumps come with and without the switch built in to them. If you are going to control the pump with a automation system, get the pump without the switch built in.

If you are going to switch speeds manually, then get a pump with it already installed.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't think a VSP was in my budget either but when I started looking at 2 speed pumps and compared the prices I decided that the incredible diversity of speeds with a VSP was worth $150. I'll probably only ever use 2 or 3 speeds, but I get to choose the lowest, most economical, RPMs. I installed it last night and I'm overjoyed.?

So I found someone who will install a pump for me. My question is this...the previous pump was 1.5 hp for a 20x40 inground with a vinyl liner. Would I automatically need to buy the same hp or would 1 hp be enough?
I would ask the seller, i sent inyo my info and they suggested a 1.65 vs. i had a 1.5hp super pump and was concerned but it runs at half speed and does the iob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.