Best non-copper based algicide

ka8yiu

Gold Supporter
Aug 11, 2016
SW FL
I do not use algicide in my pool as I maintain my FC properly. But, what is the best recommended algicide that does not contain metals?

My reason for asking is that my neighbor used a mixture of a capful of algicide and 1/2 cup of liquid chlorine in a garden sprayer to clean his pool cage of the green mold, mildew and/or algae that forms over time on the aluminum structure. So, since I do not want the metals in my pool, if I try this I would like to ensure that I do not inadvertently add any metals to my water. I have had to deal with metal staining in the past with my fiberglass pool.

Tnx

Kevin

Not quite sure an algaecide would improve the effectiveness of that process. Algaecide is a prevention, not a cure.

The only recommended algaecide is PolyQuat 60

I was just about to follow-up with that exact statement. I agree it won't make a difference, but was curious of the opinion of others.

I believe he said he was using HTH. But, he doesn't do his own pool, and has not come over to the light side.

Tnx

Kevin

There are several outdoor spray cleaners that are based on Benzalkonium chloride, which is the same ingredient in the cheap, foamy algaecide.

The algaecide active Ingredients are n-Alkyl (60% C14, 30% C16, 5% C12, 5% C18) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride at about 5.0%

I would just use the spray product, like Wet and Forget.

Never mix anything with liquid chlorine.

I would not use liquid chlorine on aluminum.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.