Best gas heater

candent99

May 30, 2019
ontario
Just got an estimate from a gas fitter as opposed to the regular pool company as I need 180 ft of underground gas pipe in addition to the heater. He is suggesting a 260,000btu Jandy jxi260n. Our pool is 21,000 gallon/76,000L and we live in Ontario, Canada. Please advise on if this is the correct size unit to heat our pool and if this is a good brand/unit. We are in lockdown so getting comparable information from pool companies etc is impossible. Even getting items in stock is difficult. Any advice appreciated and thank you.

Raypak gas heaters get good reviews here. The higher the rated BTU, the quicker it will heat up your pool. It should use about the same amount of natural gas to heat to a certain temp regardless of BTU output. It's just how long it will take. For a 21k gallon pool in Ontario Canada, I would think a 400k BTU unit would serve you better, at a slightly increased cost for the initial heater purchase. Be sure the size of the gas line is a large enough diameter to support the needs of the heater. Best to pick the heater size first and then size the gas line accordingly - or put in a larger gas line than the heater calls for.

I have 18000 gallon and live a mile high. 400k is the way to go.
I have a Pentair but planned on Raypak, for me it was who had the best deal that day.

I have a 15,000 gallon pool with the Jandy 260,000 btu. Also in Ontario and we find that it takes a long time to raise the pool temp. If you just want it to maintain temp the 260 may be fine but I would go with the 400 if you can get adequate gas supply. This may be issue based on meter size, number of appliances in the house etc. but the Gas tech can tell you.

Check with your gas fitter what the maximum BTU pool heater your gas servioce can supply or what upgrade is required to use a 400K BTU gas heater?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.