Best equipment layout

klanel

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2021
Athens, GA
I will have a 8ft x 8ft equipment pad area that will be located to the side of the pool house. The two options I want to look at are locating the equipment along the side of the pool house from front to back. The second option is to locate the equipment across the back of the equipment pad.

Advantages across the back:
Further away from everything​
Easier to hide​
More room to walk around in front of​
Advantages along the side:
All devices may have shorter run to the electrical box​
Can't think of any other​
Originally, the pad was 4 x 8 with the long run beside the pool house and the only option was along the side but now that the pad is the same both ways, it could be changed. The builder may have his own plan and reasons why one direction would be better than another but does anyone here have any input as to why one way would be better than the other?

I can't tell you exactly what will be out there but there will be a 2.7hp variable speed pump, a controller with SWG, a heatpump, a blower for the spa. All Hayward as far as I know. Sketch below. PS: shows 6x8 but it will be 8x8 pool structure layout.png

I advise my customers 4’ X 8’ X 4” concrete pad for equipment set up with 2 pumps and 4’ X 10’ X 4” for equipment set up with 3 pumps. Access around the pumps, filter and heater are important for service reasons. Across the back would be your best choice to obtain this. On another note, why only a 7’ spa when you have ample space for a more useable/comfortable spa size? Just curious, Ray.

I like the idea of across the back unless there is some reason that would make that a bad idea. The equipment slab will monolithic with the rest of the decking, all within the retaining wall area.
why only a 7’ spa
I went with the standard size the builder uses and added the spa without knowing how much it would be used rather than not do it and have regrets later on. We don't have parties so for me and my wife, I think 7ft is sufficient. As our daughter gets older, she may wish it was bigger.

K,

I am not sure it matters, but I recommend that you never, ever bring the pipes up through the concrete..

Is the pad already poured?

I have to bend like a pretzel to take the drain plug out of my filter... If I had to do it again, I'd make sure I had enough room to spread things out.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am not sure it matters, but I recommend that you never, ever bring the pipes up through the concrete..
I don't actually know if they will leave a space for pipes to come up.
Is the pad already poured?
No, still working on the retaining walls, etc. Lots of pictures in the under construction forum.
Advise the plumber to run the the drain plumbing extended out to an area
The back side of the retaining wall is over 9 ft high from the top of the footer. I don't know where they will drain, over the side or back into the deck drain system?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.