Best course of action for our small pool?

Jun 12, 2016
Trumann, AR
Hello everyone,

I am trying to come up with a plan for opening our small 14'x42" pool for the summer. Unfortunately, we kind of let it go over the winter and are stuck with a bit of a mess.

What would be the best course of action to quickly get our pool up and running? I drained it as much as possible (the drain hole sits on the side, not the bottom). Should I try to treat it before filling it up or should I fill it up and start following the instructions outlined in Pool School?

I'm also wantin

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190410_125006_exported_1653777954957937301.jpg
    MVIMG_20190410_125006_exported_1653777954957937301.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 38
At this point it looks like you need to fill it up, make sure your water chemistry is in range and perform a SLAM to kill the algae and clear the water. You can probably add a bit of liquid chlorine/bleach (same stuff, just make sure if you buy bleach that it is plain bleach, no added scents, thickening agents, etc, and not Clorox brand) to the water as you fill it up, just make sure to brush it around or use the hose to make sure it's mixed in well. Also if there is anything solid (leaves etc.) try to scoop as much of that out of the water as you can.

What are you using to test your water? How are you chlorinating your pool? If you post a full set of test results after you fill it back up we can help you get everything back on track.

Reactions: collinsj102
At this point it looks like you need to fill it up, make sure your water chemistry is in range and perform a SLAM to kill the algae and clear the water. You can probably add a bit of liquid chlorine/bleach (same stuff, just make sure if you buy bleach that it is plain bleach, no added scents, thickening agents, etc, and not Clorox brand) to the water as you fill it up, just make sure to brush it around or use the hose to make sure it's mixed in well. Also if there is anything solid (leaves etc.) try to scoop as much of that out of the water as you can.

What are you using to test your water? How are you chlorinating your pool? If you post a full set of test results after you fill it back up we can help you get everything back on track.

Thank you! I use a liquid test kit but it's not one of the high end ones. It's from Walmart. I want to convert it to a saltwater pool, so I'm looking to buy a kit to do that.

I will try filling the pool and going through the SLAM process and see how that goes. Hopefully it will clear up soon!

Also, is there a reason why I shouldn't use unscented Clorox Bleach?

Clorox bleach that says it contains Cloromax Technology has polymers in it that are not suitable for a pool.

You need an FAS/DPD chlorine test that can test FC levels over 5ppm to follow the SLAM Process process.

Reactions: collinsj102
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.