Best coping?

Sandies

Sep 19, 2020
Texas
We are just starting our pool and need to decide between white Lueder or a grey flagstone.
questions.... 1) does Lueder stain? Does it end up looking dingy?
2) have read that flagstone is hot? Is it hotter than Lueder??

Welcome to TFP :)

It may take awhile before someone that has one of those comes along and I am afraid you won't find any that has both... With that said can you get a piece of each and put it where the pool will be, leave it out there for a week and test how hot it is at different times of the day... one may be cooler

While your here check out some other places :)

I have flagstone. I absolutely love how it looks. But flagstone is sandstone, and based on my use case, not particularly suited as a border for a pool. Sandstone is sand compressed into "rock." Done in layers over time, I think. And water is not kind to layers of sand. Flagstone tends to delaminate and either flake or revert back to sand. Mine is coming apart. I expect eventually replacing some or all of the stones will be needed. I've read others have had success with their flagstone. And claims have been made that the source makes a big difference, as in: flagstone harvested from one quarry works better than that from another. And that makes perfect sense to me.

So if you decide on a sandstone product, you should look into the track record of that specific product. Somehow find out where it comes from and how its cousins are doing in others' pools. Otherwise, there's a risk that yours won't perform as expected.

Only my flagstone coping is compromised. I have a ton of it elsewhere that is perfectly fine. The worst stones are those closest to the pool steps. Proof to me that it's the constant exposure to water that is causing the problem.

We have flagstone for our coping, and love it! We don't find it too hot, but it's definitely warmer than the sundek coated decking we have.

In terms of dusting and flaking ... we haven't had too much of that, but we also have only had the pool up and running for 3 weeks now. If we do have issues with the flagstone (or the moss rock we also used), we will be treating all the stone with Prosoco OH100. It's pretty expensive, which is why we didn't do it up front and are waiting to see if our particular stone will have issues.

Yep, I had to use about $1800 of a consolidator solution to get mine to slow down. It worked pretty well, but I still have that one bad stone near the steps. I probably need to shoot it again.

Is the leuder a limestone? I personally would not risk the flaking or pitting of either a limestone or flagstone near a pool. Sometimes they can be fine, other times not so much.

I have quartzite stone. Denser and appears to hold up well. You will still get a small piece flacking off here and there but nothing like the other options. Looks good IMO. Ours is dark and gets hot. But once water is splashed on it, it is just fine. Oh and it is dog approved.

Yep, I had to use about $1800 of a consolidator solution to get mine to slow down. It worked pretty well, but I still have that one bad stone near the steps. I probably need to shoot it again.

Did you use the Prosoco OH100? If so, where were you able to procure it?

I've asked a couple of masons about it, and they never heard of it. I've a feeling I may need to contact a conservation service, like what an historical society may use to preserve an old building, etc ...

I'm not sure of the brand. I've got a stone guru that suggested the stuff I used and we did the application together. He's an expert in that field and he's the one that taught me the difference between sealers and consolidators. I was sharing this info with others here, and gave them the brand of the product, but have already spaced it out. It may be the same stuff you're citing. He warned me I wasn't likely going to find it local. He orders it from the manufacturer. That's why most PBs and stone guys and DIYers use sealers, because the right stuff is obscure and not readily available, and I doubt most on that list even know anything about it (as you've experienced).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.