Best brands of stand alone hot tubs these days.

For those that are using a drape over the edge system. How do you power it? Are you just stretching an extension cord across your deck / patio / lawn ?

I have an outdoor extension cord that runs to my TV cabinet which is right next to the tub. The extension cord is safely attached to the bottom of my porch above the hot tub. I have heard, however, that you can splice in a 110 v. outlet off the 220 v power control box. I, however, don't know any details about this. The manufacturer of the SmarterSpa suggests having the power supply plugged into a plug in the spa compartment OR in a warm location if you live in a location that gets super cold in the winter.

Last edited:
I have one of the early versions of ACE, so I don't know if it has changed over the years, but mine let's me adjust both for spa size and usage. It also has the temporary boost option. I agree 100% on ease of use and maintenance. After water changes, I make sure I nail my levels up front and get an appropriate level of CYA (typically 25-30ppm) and borates (35-40ppm). From there on out it is almost completely predictable with very little drift until the next fill! When I first got the tub, I tested religiously on a daily basis with a Taylor K2006... Now, in the summer months, I've been testing biweekly and it's very rare that I have to make adjustments, even for pH. In the winter months, I use the tub pretty much daily and still do need to add muriatic acid to account for pH rise with the jets and water features over extended time (2 weeks or longer). That said, I've gotten to the point where I'm only checking once a week in the winter, unless I get an off reading or have more or heavier usage than normal.
So you say you need to add MA on occasion, do you ever add Chlorine??

So you say you need to add MA on occasion, do you ever add Chlorine??
I keep both dichlor and liquid bleach on hand, but rarely have to use it. On a new fill, I shock with dichlor to 10ppm FC and then slowly dose over 2 weeks to get the CYA to an appropriate level. The liquid bleach is only used when FC drops below 2ppm (normally only parties).

For those that are using a drape over the edge system. How do you power it? Are you just stretching an extension cord across your deck / patio / lawn ?
My tub is about 6' from my house. If you walk out the patio doors, on the left is a staircase leading up to the deck. The tub is immediately in front of the doors, but just past the staircase. My Saltron Mini is plugged into the outlet by the doors, mounted on the outside of the deck staircase banister, and the cell cord runs under the stairs and then into the tub.

I have an outdoor extension cord that runs to my TV cabinet which is right next to the tub. The extension cord is safely attached to the bottom of my porch above the hot tub. I have heard, however, that you can splice in a 110 v. outlet off the 220 v power control box. I, however, don't know any details about this. The manufacturer of the SmarterSpa suggests having the power supply plugged into a plug in the spa compartment OR in a warm location if you live in a location that gets super cold in the winter.
Oh yeah, that would totally work. Not sure if it's code compliant but it would totally work.

This is what bothers me. The extension cords. My tub is about 6' from my sliding doors as well, and is half under the 8' deck that is above it. I could run an extension cord from an outlet on the house, up to the bottom of the deck, and then across and down to the hot tub. However extension cords just scream hack to me (sorry to those that use them, but too many electrical safety course have me in the mindset that an extension is a temporary solution and should not be used permanently if possible). I could add a receptacle 6' away from the tub on the lower part of my deck, if the device cord is long enough. But it does get cold in New Jersey, and frankly cold weather is when I do mind going out to the tub to add bleach.

I could bridge a 120V receptacle off of the 240V feed in the tub mechanical space - that's easy. Well sort of easy. I would have to fuss around with carflex and 6 ga conductors, but conceptually it is not hard. I just don't know if I want to go that route.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
12/2 with ground S/O cable at home depot. Make your cord as long as you like, switch the gfci cord end out from the old one.

I have to look at the unit itself.

Too many things are now in sealed clamshells that cannot be opened.

Also, keeping it out of the weather my be an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.