Benefits of adding DE?

Likely no need to replace the sand, but you should be doing a deep cleaning of the sand every year. Are you asking about replacing your entire filter to get a DE one? Or are you asking about using a little de in your sand filter to help polish the water?

You can buy DE on amazon. I’ve been thinking about adding it to my sand filter as well since I bought a robot cleaner and won’t be backwashing as often anymore. I will try a cup of DE and see what happens. Current psi is 20.

I’m getting ready to open. This is the 3rd yr with my sand filter. Was thinking about converting to DE. Where can I buy it and the pros and cons of it? Do I need to replace my sand after 3 yrs of filtering? Thanks
You can buy it in the pool section of a big box or hardware store. They also sell a DE replacement made from cellulose.

The pro: better filtration. In your case it would be roughly the same as putting window screen over chicken wire, just on a microscopic scale. Will you see the difference? Maybe. If you've been maintaining chemistry well, the water probably already sparkles.

The con: It filters so good that it'll likely clog up within an hour the first time. Maybe the second or third, too, until the water is really clear. That's a lot of backwashing. If you're on a well, maybe you won't want that.

Another con is the expense. If you have to buy the DE, don't waste your money. You'll end up with years and years' worth. And the bag needs to be protected, because it will probably rot before the stuff is used up, and you'll have a huge mess with white powder everywhere. Better to ask around and find someone who has a DE filter. Or flag down a pool service truck. Beg or buy a few cups' worth.

It will definitely help in final polishing and keeping things clear after a storm or pollen dump. I use 2 cups on 300lb sand filter sprinkled directly into basket provides a 1-2psi increase in filter pressure. If things are cloudy keep an eye on pressure backwash and reapply as needed. Big box stores have it at reasonable price for how much you’ll use over the years. Best to transfer the internal paper bag into a plastic tote in a well ventilated area as DE dust has similar carcinogenic concerns to silica dust

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.