Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi,
We have a bench cut out but it wasn’t made high enough so the water depth when sitting will be a little too deep. I want it to be a place where kids and wife can sit. This is for a gunite salt pool that was shot a few months ago but haven’t had pebble sheen applied yet. Is this something that the pool builder can add some more concrete to build it up to the correct height? Probably be a few inches.
Has anyone used some type of stone slab as the bench seat? Don’t know if this would even be a option that would work. Just had a lot of time to think over the winter here in NJ, maybe that would be more comfortable than sitting on pebble?

Thank you for your suggestions!
37DD1835-6A68-4831-993C-DFDAC8450700.jpeg

Your pool builder can build up the seat with some hydraulic cement.

Reactions: TexasRain
That's an easy fix. They can do a lot just with the finish coat, depending on how many inches you need. I wouldn't put any stone on the bench. It's done, but you'll get charged a bunch and it'll be of questionable aesthetic value. Better to put that money into something more noticeable.

You should plan to be onsite when they shoot the finish. Sometimes they have questions about how you want something done. And you can keep an eye on how they form the final shape, including checking the depth of that bench, which they can adjust a little as they shoot it.

Imagine how much bigger that smile is going to get when there's water!! 😁

I noticed a pipe by that seat, is there a water feature in that area? Biggest thing building it up, which is easy, is making sure that gets communicated to the crew and doesn't just remain in your builder's mind. Once you decide with him how to fix it, keep on him until it is done. It needs to be done at least a few days if not a week before the plaster goes on.

That's an easy fix. They can do a lot just with the finish coat, depending on how many inches you need. I wouldn't put any stone on the bench. It's done, but you'll get charged a bunch and it'll be of questionable aesthetic value. Better to put that money into something more noticeable.

You should plan to be onsite when they shoot the finish. Sometimes they have questions about how you want something done. And you can keep an eye on how they form the final shape, including checking the depth of that bench, which they can adjust a little as they shoot it.

Imagine how much bigger that smile is going to get when there's water!! 😁

Thanks. How thick can a pebble finish be if they need to build it up a bit..I think the builder said it would typically be about 1/2 inch for the rest of the pool.

I noticed a pipe by that seat, is there a water feature in that area? Biggest thing building it up, which is easy, is making sure that gets communicated to the crew and doesn't just remain in your builder's mind. Once you decide with him how to fix it, keep on him until it is done. It needs to be done at least a few days if not a week before the plaster goes on.
Thanks, yes there is going to be a slide and waterfall/sheer decent feature.

Thanks. How thick can a pebble finish be if they need to build it up a bit..I think the builder said it would typically be about 1/2 inch for the rest of the pool.

The waterline will be around where your daughters nose is in the pic. So you want the seat raised by at least the height from her chin to her nose and maybe a bit more.

Your waterline is normally about halfway up the skimmer throat but can be higher. Show us pics of your skimmer throat and let us see how it aligns with your tile.

You need to decide how many inches you want the seat raised and give a specific number to the builder.

You don't want to build a pebble finish up a few inches.

Last edited:
Where does it hit your wife? I would go off of her height more than your kid, since kids rarely sit still in the pool and will certainly continue growing.

How thick can a pebble finish be if they need to build it up a bit
I don't know, it's not a lot, more for fine tuning. It doesn't really matter. Let the PB do it the way he knows best. I do like the above advice: to make sure he does it well in advance of the finish day, if he's not going to use the finish material to do it.

Reactions: sydner23

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The waterline will be around where your daughters nose is in the pic. So you want the seat raised by at least the height from her chin to her nose and maybe a bit more.

Your waterline is normally about halfway up the skimmer throat but can be higher. Show us pics of your skimmer throat and let us see how it aligns with your tile.

You need to decide how many inches you want the seat raised and give a specific number to the builder.

You don't want to build a pebble finish up a few inches.

Here is one of the skimmers...there are 2 skimmers. Makes sense...will talk to the builder, thanks!

Attachments

• 0C9AF453-904B-4D0D-8EAA-CC860D025B44.jpeg
    0C9AF453-904B-4D0D-8EAA-CC860D025B44.jpeg
    544.1 KB · Views: 72
Hi,
We have a bench cut out but it wasn’t made high enough so the water depth when sitting will be a little too deep. I want it to be a place where kids and wife can sit. This is for a gunite salt pool that was shot a few months ago but haven’t had pebble sheen applied yet. Is this something that the pool builder can add some more concrete to build it up to the correct height? Probably be a few inches.
Has anyone used some type of stone slab as the bench seat? Don’t know if this would even be a option that would work. Just had a lot of time to think over the winter here in NJ, maybe that would be more comfortable than sitting on pebble?

Thank you for your suggestions!
View attachment 177992
I'd love to know what waterline tile you used, and also what Pebble finish. Thanks!

I think I’d leave it alone or judge based on your wife. The kids can kneel or sit on their feet, and will grow very fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.