Beginner question about blowing out return lines

RobHudson

Aug 25, 2020
Philadelphia, PA
I'm pondering attempting to close the pool myself for the first time this year. Been reading in this forum and watching lots of youtube videos. I have A LOT of questions. But, I'll start with this. Below is my setup. Seems relatively normal. Intakes are on the right of the picture, returns are on the left. My first major question... None of the PVC valves seem to disconnect easily. So, if I have the Cyclone and hose attachment, where would I use blow the out return lines from?

Attachments

• IMG-1666.jpg
    IMG-1666.jpg
    809.8 KB · Views: 42
Rob, one question: At the very far right of the pic on the suction end, is that a removable end cap? I can't tell if that would be an access point. If not, you might be able to use an adapter fitting to connect the Cyclone to your pump pot drain plug. Since you have a plunger backwash valve versus a multiport that can go to closed, that may be something to clarify as well. @Catanzaro can confirm. In the meantime, take a look at the threads below for some ideas. Good luck!

Reactions: RobHudson
Rob, one question: At the very far right of the pic on the suction end, is that a removable end cap? I can't tell if that would be an access point. If not, you might be able to use an adapter fitting to connect the Cyclone to your pump pot drain plug. Since you have a plunger backwash valve versus a multiport that can go to closed, that may be something to clarify as well. @Catanzaro can confirm. In the meantime, take a look at the threads below for some ideas. Good luck!

Yes, that is a plunger valve. AFAIK, my only 2 options for the plunger valve are backwash and the normal putting it through the filter.

Not sure exactly what you mean by on the far right (besides the weeds :)). On the right, there's 4 intake valves: 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, and 1 spa drain. The hose coming out is the bottom is for backwash. The filter pump basket cover is removable.

My plan for the intakes was to remove the basket cover and either blow out from there. Or, I could plug there and blow out from the skimmers. No plan for the returns yet.

I see what you’re talking about with the cap at the end. That looks like it’ll come off. But, if I can use that, why couldn’t I just blow from the wall skimmer all the way through the filter? Would I lose too much air power doing that?
4F2B798F-3056-483B-880D-C7BEE492C796.jpeg

But, if I can use that, why couldn’t I just blow from the wall skimmer all the way through the filter?
Some people do blow "to" the pad, but I'll defer that question to the winter pros who do this every year. I'm spoiled down here with an unseasonable 100 degree October day. :swim: Hang tight, CAT or one of the others will reply soon.

Reactions: RobHudson
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.