Before I start SLAM today, is this mustard?

Sep 9, 2018
Houston, TX
IMG_3803.jpg
I had my pump off for two days while doing a drain/fill to lower CYA levels, so now algae is worse than ever & I'm ready to SLAM!
FC 0
PH 7.2
CYA 55
Temp 84
According to pool calculator my shock level is 17, but the chlorine/CYA chart says 22. And of course for mustard, it's even higher. Before I start dumping in chlorine, what should my goal really be? I'm in Houston, TX. We're still in the high 80s & low 90s. This pool gets tons of sun and lots of junk dropping in it from my neighbor's trees. (pine, oak, crepe myrtle, bird feathers...) This is definitely algae, not pollen. Is it mustard? I think it might be. It is worse in the more shaded areas, to be sure. It's tough to scrub- only steel bristles and only in a circular motion. The plastic bristles on my whale wall brush do absolutely NOTHING. This is a large pool (24K, 8.5' deep end) I have no idea how I'm going to scrub the bottom in a circular motion from that distance, and I really don't want to jump in to a pool at super high shock levels. Any help/advice appreciated!
Gratefully,
Cara

Attachments

• IMG_3799.jpg
    IMG_3799.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3800.jpg
    IMG_3800.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3802.jpg
    IMG_3802.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 115
I decided to start with the pool calculator's FC recommendation since it was the lowest (17) to at least get something going and stop the algae growth (hopefully?)
Added 10% liquid bleach to reach 17. It was down to 3.5 just 30 minutes later!
Added more to reach 17 again and was down to 10.5 in an hour.
Just dumped in some more and will keep checking/adding hourly 'til bedtime, then resume tomorrow. (I sure hope 17 is high enough- Please tell me if I should go higher to kill this nightmare that's been consuming my life since April!)
Also, I've been checking my CCs. My level is .5 after adding R-0871 back to the CDT. However, if I walk away from the test for a minute or two, it turns quite pink again. Is the test invalid after a minute or two goes by, or should I add more 0871 'til it turns clear once more?
Thanks!
Cara

I don't think that's mustard algae....too "clumped" looking

Use the FC/CYA chart in Pool School for your SLAM value, Consider your CYA as 60 so you can use 24 ppm FC.

Your really burnin' up some chlorine fast but it will slow dramatically soon. Are you brushing? Are you watching your filter for a pressure rise? Cleaning your filter? Pump running 24/7? vacuuming or working your robot?

All these things in combination will make your SLAM go well.

Disregard CC's for now. When your pool is crystal clear and you are ready for the OCLT (you're not) then you'll test for CC's and take your first result.....don't let it sit.

Cara:

All test results are immediate and yes, there will be color changes if you allow the water sample to sit there. Something is consuming chlorine. When you brush, is the green biofilm broken up and the water becomes cloudy? The water is safe up to SLAM levels based on CYA and there should be no concern. If you are claiming that the brushing is breaking up the algae, following the SLAM carefully should provide the results you are looking for. Please keep us posted.

I will increase chlorine to 24, thanks! Yes, brushing. Pressure has not increased yet, but I am watching! Pump is on 24/7. We have a little Hayward XL vac running around right now. (Should I keep this going all the time or disconnect once in a while, which increases filter pressure and circulation?) This pool was built in 1961. It's a weird setup, and circulation is adequate but certainly not ideal. LMK if pics would help. We've been here less than a year, and this is our first pool.

Yes, I am breaking it up with a brush. I haven't finished completely. It's a big pool and will take a few hours by myself. The algae has mostly settled into what look like, "pock marks" in the plaster. That's why circular brushing with steel bristles is the only way to get it out, so we're talking scrubbing the whole pool in 8" circles.

SLAM day 2 Report:

Water is crystal clear, although that was never an issue. I could always see ALL the algae really well, ha!
I've gone through 13 jugs of 10% from Lowes in about 30 hours. Didn't check the date on it, but all purchased in last 2 weeks. It's all gone now.
Today I got some liquid 12.5% from Leslie's. More expensive, but a higher chlorine content & they store indoors instead of out in the TX heat.
The pool has been brushed heavily with a wire brush. I have broken up most, but not all the algae spots. (Rain keeps slowing me down.)
Pool looks gorgeous and blue compared to yesterday, but it's still devouring chlorine, about 4 PPM FC every 2 hours. Better than yesterday, but a ways to go yet!
Filter pressure hasn't increased at all.
My questions for tonight: 1) Should I backwash anyway?
2) At what point should I throw all the toys and floats and stuff in the water, and how long should I leave them there?
Thanks!
Cara

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't see a date anywhere, only a stamped string of numbers: 6A182391602
I emailed Blue Whale for more info, but please LMK if you can decipher that.
Wal-Mart would be great if we lived somewhere safer, but saving a few bucks on bleach isn't worth getting accosted in the parking lot. :(

The 18239 in that string of numbers is the Julian date. Thus, the 239th day of 2018. August 27, 2018. Pretty fresh.

Reactions: JF July
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.