Before I consider installing a SWG, few qualifying questions plz

Back to your original question about corrosion of stainless steel and stone, I’m in a similar situation. I have unsealed flagstone coping and an outdoor kitchen with a stainless steel grill and cabinets that is just on the north side of the pool with winds predominantly from the south. My pool has had a SWCG for 15 years and the coping looks like it did when it was installed. There are no ill effects on the stainless steel either.

You can’t beat the convenience of a SWCG. I really don’t have to do much at all to maintain my pool. I test a couple of times per week, just for peace of mind, and add a little muratic acid each week to keep pH in check. Empty the skimmer baskets and give the plaster the occasional brushing and that’s the only weekly maintenance I have to do. SWCG takes care of adding chlorine for me, so I can go away for several weeks if needed and still not worry about my pool turning green or hiring a service while I’m gone. I wouldn’t have a pool without a SWCG.

Back to your original question about corrosion of stainless steel and stone, I’m in a similar situation. I have unsealed flagstone coping and an outdoor kitchen with a stainless steel grill and cabinets that is just on the north side of the pool with winds predominantly from the south. My pool has had a SWCG for 15 years and the coping looks like it did when it was installed. There are no ill effects on the stainless steel either.

You can’t beat the convenience of a SWCG. I really don’t have to do much at all to maintain my pool. I test a couple of times per week, just for peace of mind, and add a little muratic acid each week to keep pH in check. Empty the skimmer baskets and give the plaster the occasional brushing and that’s the only weekly maintenance I have to do. SWCG takes care of adding chlorine for me, so I can go away for several weeks if needed and still not worry about my pool turning green or hiring a service while I’m gone. I wouldn’t have a pool without a SWCG.
Perfect jark, thank you very much. I’m pretty much now moving to the design phase.

How are you doing on rain & heat in F Mound? Texas is really hurting and it’s going to really heat up again next week. Wish there was a way to generate rain like generating FC !

How are you doing on rain & heat in F Mound?
It’s a beating, but we’re surviving! We broke our string of 100+ days yesterday, but we’re starting a new string today. I heard somewhere that we’re on track to break the record of 71 triple digit days this year. Some of the area had thunderstorms yesterday, but I could only see the clouds to the east and south while blue sky remained over Flower Mound. Thank goodness for the pool (and chiller!) My water temp hasn’t been above 83° so we can still get out and enjoy the backyard.

Wow on 83 water temp. Mine was 95 yesterday, but we got 1” of rain so that really helped. My ranch is burning up, prob feed cows hay in July…we need 2-3 low pressure systems or tropical storms / thx again

, since i have Hayward automation & H VSP,, do i have to go w a Hayward SWG or can i use any make/model?
If you want to control the SWG thru your automation, you need to use the same brand SWG as the automation.

And some automation systems - when the SWG is the same manufacturer - alter the SWG output when in pool mode or spa mode.... so less for you to worry about in that respect.

Reactions: HermanTX
If you want to control the SWG thru your automation, you need to use the same brand SWG as the automation.

And some automation systems - when the SWG is the same manufacturer - alter the SWG output when in pool mode or spa mode.... so less for you to worry about in that respect.
Thanks Pro, but I’m not understanding your last paragraph unless it’s saying that same SWG & same automation, they adjust your FC out when you change btw pool & spa modes, while non compatible ones will not, is that it?

Thank you

Thanks Pro, but I’m not understanding your last paragraph unless it’s saying that same SWG & same automation, they adjust your FC out when you change btw pool & spa modes, while non compatible ones will not, is that it?

Thank you

Some automation systems will reduce the SWG output when the automation changes from pool mode to spa mode.
This helps prevent the SWG from over-chlorinating the spa when the automation is in spa mode.
But the automation and SWG need to be from the same manufacturer.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable in Hayward automation will chime in.
@bmoreswim maybe

Reactions: tstex
Some automation systems will reduce the SWG output when the automation changes from pool mode to spa mode.
This helps prevent the SWG from over-chlorinating the spa when the automation is in spa mode.
But the automation and SWG need to be from the same manufacturer.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable in Hayward automation will chime in.
@bmoreswim maybe
It would be interesting if either the big 3 mfg. or even the second tier mfg would create a wireless feature for their control box. This way you could mix and match supplier equipment and yet have remote control of both your pool features (through existing automation systems) and SWCG if desired. Since a SWCG is a product that can be added after a pool is built it would make sense to have a standalone wireless control system. It would require a second app but that is fine. I just want to adjust % output and see the data or warning signals that are on existing control boxes.

Maybe I am asking too much because much of the existing automation are really basic when considered what is available in more common consumer products.

I am not smart enough in wireless technology but possibly there is some device that can connect to a SWCG control box (Such as CircuPool for example) to provide remote wireless control & monitoring. Maybe that is a market opportunity for an entrepreneur.

Herman

Where do you buy your bleach? My supplier just had a .60/gal increase so I’m going SWCG very soon. I buy bleach in 5 gal containers and now have 5 of them. Bleach weighs 10lbs per gallon so that’s 250lbs of bleach I’m hauling, and bc it’s so hot, I transport inside my truck. I’m tired of moving those buckets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Herman

Where do you buy your bleach? My supplier just had a .60/gal increase so I’m going SWCG very soon. I buy bleach in 5 gal containers and now have 5 of them. Bleach weighs 10lbs per gallon so that’s 250lbs of bleach I’m hauling, and bc it’s so hot, I transport inside my truck. I’m tired of moving those buckets.
I go to Pinch a Penny. You have to purchase the 2.5gal container, and then bring it in for refills. The fill is $10+tax. So your first one may be about $18 (not sure what I paid for the container). It is the cheapest I have found. it used to be $8+tax. After 10 fills you get a free fill. They run sales a lot. Right now it is 10% off through Aug 4 (I think). Limit 4 fills.

Are you purchasing from NAPCO in Spring? I know they sold in 5 gal containers but that is too far from me to make it economical especially with recent gas price increases.

Since a SWCG is a product that can be added after a pool is built it would make sense to have a standalone wireless control system. It would require a second app but that is fine. I just want to adjust % output and see the data or warning signals that are on existing control boxes.
The reality is that there’s not that much adjustment that occurs with a SWCG. Other than the convenience of setting it via your phone vs whatever other method is available, I don’t know that there’s a big benefit with wireless access. I don’t have wireless access to any of my pool automation, as everything is controlled through a screen inside the house or the main controller panel with the pool equipment, so there may be something I’m not understanding.

During the summer, once I get my SWCG dialed in to a steady FC production level where tests yield my target every time, I don’t touch it for several months. I don’t know how wireless access would provide me with any measurable benefit. The primary warning signals (like dropping FC levels) require testing, but an alert from an app if the cell is malfunctioning might be of some benefit.

I go to Pinch a Penny. You have to purchase the 2.5gal container, and then bring it in for refills. The fill is $10+tax. So your first one may be about $18 (not sure what I paid for the container). It is the cheapest I have found. it used to be $8+tax. After 10 fills you get a free fill. They run sales a lot. Right now it is 10% off through Aug 4 (I think). Limit 4 fills.

Are you purchasing from NAPCO in Spring? I know they sold in 5 gal containers but that is too far from me to make it economical especially with recent gas price increases.
Yes, I buy from Napco, but to make it worthwhile, i now take five 5-gal containers. The first one i bought from them, the next 4 i bought from Lowes w a lid that has a pour spout w screw-like cap. It’s equal to 50 gal of HEB bleach. I keep them in utility room that AC’ed.

I think if i went into HEB & bought 50 1 gal bleach bottles (if they had that many), I’d need 3-4 carts & they’d prob have me checked out…

That $900 one is a great price! Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are you saying since I already have the omni system that I only need to buy the cell kit for $900 instead of the aquarite one thats $1789? Meaning the $900 one will come with no screen or anything and instead I will hook it up to my omni board and control everything through that?

Basically this one is $1789: Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator 40K Gal w/T-CELL-15

The one I think you are referring to is this one: Goldline Hayward T-CELL-15 Chlorinator Cell Kit 40K gal.

So for $900 + $160 out the door I could have everything I need to convert to salt?
Good thread...just one question but let me know if I need to post in another thread but it's relevant to the Hayward SWG and Automation/ We have the prologic 8 installed in 2015. If I went the SWCG route, would I just buy the cell or do I need to buy the interface to ProLogic too? THanks

Last edited:
Good thread...just one question but let me know if I need to post in another thread but it's relevant to the Hayward SWG and Automation/ We have the prologic 8 installed in 2015. If I went the SWCG route, would I just buy the cell or do I need to buy the interface to ProLogic too? THanks
You connect a flow switch and the cell yo the Prologic board. You should look at the board and see the appropriate sockets.

Ok, so unlike the omnihub, I can connect directly to Prologic as the OmniLogic w out any boards or upgrades? I think i have 3 of the 8 slots/relays open

Thank you Allen. I started. another thread on full specs and all so I can get busy on converting.

Hello to all,

Going to get out of the full-time bleach business.

Based on my signature, looking to determine what I specifically need and instructions on CL to SWG conversion.

Current Status:
14000 IGP w CL
ProLogic 8 installed in Winter 2014 [have 3 avail relays and 2 20AMP DP breakers w capacity, pumps not either on them, on their own dedicated circuits]
2.7HP VSP
Have 110 outlet but very comfortable to wire direct
Any installation tips

Questions
Can I install the Cell directly to the ProLogic 8 System
Would you like a pic of the equipment pad for cell placement?
Any modification to current system to upgrade to SWCG [T-9 or T-15?]
Is there a better option w a non-hayward cell ?

Thank you very much,
tstex

Ok, so unlike the omnihub, I can connect directly to Prologic as the OmniLogic w out any boards or upgrades? I think i have 3 of the 8 slots/relays open

Your Prologic board should look like this.

Plug the flow switch into G.

Plug the cell into E

Raise your pool salinity to 3000ppm.

Check that the T cell you installed is set in the configuration.

Hayward_Prologic_circuit_board_layout.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.