Before and After Ascorbic Acid Treatment (Iron Stains)

aapoolaa

May 9, 2022
Folsom CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I had what I started suspecting to be iron stains. I asked for help identifying them. @mknauss recommended me to try the tests here: Stains in Your Pool. Here is my original post: Is this iron staining?

The tests all but confirmed much of the staining was at least from iron. (Side note: I used Emergen-C packets for the ascorbic acid test--they work!).

Thus, I performed the ascorbic acid treatment as outlined here: Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains. Some of the specifics of the protocol were a tad unclear (especially what "slowly" means in regard to raising chlorine levels). But that is a minor nuance. I chose to interpret that as a couple days. Used polyquat 60 to keep away algea while FC was zero.

The treatment was a tremendous success. While my plaster doesn't look 100% by any means (previous owner neglect), it is massively improved and I suspect the rest of the staining is copper and/or other plaster defects.

Before photos named "before."

After photos named "after."

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this info!

Attachments

• Before (1).JPEG
    Before (1).JPEG
    438.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Before (2).JPEG
    Before (2).JPEG
    621.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Before (3).JPEG
    Before (3).JPEG
    467.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Before (6).JPEG
    Before (6).JPEG
    366.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Before (7).JPEG
    Before (7).JPEG
    594.9 KB · Views: 45
  • After (1).JPEG
    After (1).JPEG
    404.1 KB · Views: 46
  • After (2).JPEG
    After (2).JPEG
    540.1 KB · Views: 46
  • After (3).JPEG
    After (3).JPEG
    433.4 KB · Views: 47
  • After (4).JPEG
    After (4).JPEG
    488.3 KB · Views: 49
  • After (6).JPEG
    After (6).JPEG
    555 KB · Views: 51
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.