Been the summer of chasing issues Looking for input and guidance

Jul 10, 2016
Central Ma
I just couldn't get ahead of the algae in the pool. Chemicals got balanced, but there was still algae, and what is worse was when I vacuumed it was returning to the pool from the return. Reading on here, I decided to check out if channeling was happening inside the sand filter. All heck broke loose with that. I was definitely ill-equipped to do that alone as I could not get the lateral assembly(?) back in. I called in some help.

Turns out I was very low on sand (maybe 1/3 of what it should be) and the water in the filter was deep green. So we emptied out most of the sand that was in there and replaced it with about 145 pounds of new sand. I reassembled it all, and of course I have a drip at the connection of the clamp flange. I pull things apart, wipe down all the parts, use some jack's lube on the o-ring and reassemble. I think I have the drip controlled. I fire up the filter, and I am a bit freaked out at the air bubbles in the return, but I think it is from air trapped in the sand, etc. Soon enough there are no air bubbles in the return. PSI is around 13. I feel around the connections for drips, but it is hard to tell as everything is pretty wet. I will monitor when filter is off and hope to the pool gods that it is snug.

I still have an algae problem. I know my chlorine is high but the rest of the chemicals were balanced I bought algaecide at the pool store ( I was desperate) I have added that to the pool.

Do you think the algae issue was because there was not enough sand in the filter to actually filter the water? What should the next steps be?

Thank you for reading, I look forward to the responses.

Algae is present because you do not have enough free chlorine. Filters just trap dirt / dead algae, etc - they do not sanitize the water - chlorination does!

A proper test kit is needed to help further: Swimming Pool Test Kits Compared

Once you have a good test kit, you need to SLAM to end algae once and for all.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I know my chlorine is high but the rest of the chemicals were balanced
What is high chlorine? How are you testing? Do you use one of the recommended test kits, either the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006C? It is really difficult to provide more input without test results from one of the recommended test kits in the following format.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Balanced is one part of the equation, your pool also has to be sanitized to kill the nasties, not just algae. Think about this, if algae can grow wouldn't you agree that bacteria could get a foothold, too.

So we need to know your numbers. Update your signature with the test kit you use so others won't have to ask.

Algae is present because you do not have enough free chlorine. Filters just trap dirt / dead algae, etc - they do not sanitize the water - chlorination does!

A proper test kit is needed to help further: Swimming Pool Test Kits Compared

Once you have a good test kit, you need to SLAM to end algae once and for all.
But if the filter isn't trapping dirt and just sending it back, doesn't that contribute to the dirty pool/algae issue?

But if the filter isn't trapping dirt and just sending it back, doesn't that contribute to the dirty pool/algae issue?
Filter's won't do a good job of catching live algae either way. They catch dead algae pretty well, but you have to kill it for it to be caught. Dirt, yes, that's important for the filter to catch and it sounds like you have a bead on that.

Our advice for algae is going to be predicated on you getting a good test kit. Either a Taylor K-2006c (the 'c' is important) or a TF-100 from tftestkits.net. With test strips, or even pool store testing, you can't be sure your levels are where they need to be. If you'd like to go that route, then once you have the kit, post full test results and we can help with the SLAM Process to get rid of the algae. Until then, just add 5ppm of chlorine via liquid chlorine daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.