Been adding a lot more salt lately. Bad sign SWG is on its way out?

Jul 23, 2014
Sandhills, NC
Most recently, my panel is reading 2500 ppm. I add 2-40 lb bags and it brings it up to maybe 2700. In the past, that much salt would have brought it to maybe 2900-3000? Although it is spring, we have not had THAT MUCH rain and I have not had to add much water due to evaporation. We leave our pool open all year, but I have already added 2-3 40lb bags before this. That’s a LOT of salt. I don’t think I have added that much in a year previously.

The other night I got in and for the first time ever I could taste salt on my lips. I thought wow that must definitely be high so since I currently have no other means of testing salinity (I have the Taylor K1766 on order) I take a sample to the local pool store. Readings come back as 3450 ppm. This is our 5th season on our Hayward T-9. I examine the cell every year for scaling and finding none I have only cleaned by flushing with water. Yesterday however, I decided to finally clean it with a salt cell cleaner packet (I believe this is basically muriatic acid). Very little if any bubbling action present while soaking. When I hooked the cell back up it is still reading 2500-2600 ppm.

The cell is still generating chlorine as FC is 4. I can provide other numbers if necessary but the water temp is mid 70s.

Do I need to start shopping for a new cell? Or could it be something in the panel?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is not currently generating, so it will not show that info. Either turn the pump off and back on again (and wait for the SWG delay to pass) or turn the output up to 100%

Volts and amps only show when generating. You checked in the off part of the cycle.

The cycle is 180 minutes. The percentage determines how much time of the cycle is on vs off.

For example, at 50%, the cell will generate for 90 minutes and then be off for 90 minutes. Then the cycle begins again.

I have not had to add much water due to evaporation
Evaporation has no effect on salt content of the pool. The salt stays behind when the water evaporates.

Just an FYI. When water evaporates it leaves the solids such as salt, calcium carbonate, CYA, etc in the pool.

Take care.

Well this isn’t looking good

Few questions
1) what is the instant salt level and what should it be at?
2) why replace with a T-15?
3) how long should a cell last, typically?
4) let’s say I order one online. I assume as long as I get like for like it’s simple replacement. Just like when I cleaned it. No parameters need changing on the panel?
5) I assume the cell will eventually stop making chlorine and then all chaos will break loose.

1. Instant is the current reading. The other is average over some period of time
2. Because larger cells last longer as you do not need to run them as much ... this offsets the small added upfront cost
3. 3-10+ years ... very dependant on how the chemistry was maintained
4. If you get a T-9, it would be plug and play. If you get larger cell, you would just have to change a setting in the controller
5. With a salt reading of 900 ... it is not generating now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.