Beach entry into deep end

Jul 29, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are designing our pool now and we have our main entry on the right side and it will have several large wet decks. On the left side we will have a grotto and deep end. We also want a beach entry, but we want the beach entry into the deep end and only go down to 12" and then drop off. Our designer tells us we can't have a beach entry into the deep and it can only go in the shallow end. She says its against code but I feel that's not correct. She's very argumentative when she thinks she is being questioned so i would rather not go there if I'm wrong and it cant be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is your code - http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/building/plan-review/Building Codes/2009pool.pdf

Will you have steps that meet 703.2?

Private pools, private and public spas and water features shall have a maximum riser height of twelve (12) inches (305 mm), with a minimum horizontal tread depth of twelve (12) inches (305 mm). Steps shall extend to a depth of forty-two (42) inches (1067 mm) of water depth or within twelve (12) inches (305 mm) of a portion of the pool floor. The distance from the bottom of the pool to the bottom step shall not be considered a riser.

Deep end swim outs that jut into the pool are dangerous. The ones the bump out aren't as much.

Personally i like the idea of a beach entry and then a drop off. Never heard of any pool construction codes pertaining to actual design but it does appear you have some so leaves you little choice.

You know it will be used to get out too, especially by the kids. Climbing up onto the 12 inch deep entry shelf will scuff alot of elbows and knees. Would 2 ft be too much slope ? That would be great for adults to sit and still be actually in the pool and the kids could swim right up on it before standing up.

You know it will be used to get out too, especially by the kids. Climbing up onto the 12 inch deep entry shelf will scuff alot of elbows and knees. Would 2 ft be too much slope ? That would be great for adults to sit and still be actually in the pool and the kids could swim right up on it before standing up.

This does bring up a good point comparing it to a deep-end swimout. I can envision a 0 entry maybe 10 feet long, 0 feet to 2 feet, and then a drop off to 8-9 feet. Not sure about a diving board it could go right at the edge of the dropoff I suppose. Not sure that would be all that safe. Seeing water all the way around might confuse some people into thinking they can dive off the edge.

Reactions: Newdude
Deep end swim outs that jut into the pool are dangerous. The ones the bump out aren't as much.

Personally i like the idea of a beach entry and then a drop off. Never heard of any pool construction codes pertaining to actual design but it does appear you have some so leaves you little choice.

There are codes relating to drop off slope into deeper water. A beach entry into deep water fails it in every way. 1 foot of drop in 3ft of pool length is the maximum. Any sudden depth increase is incredibly dangerous.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.