Be Kind - Brown Water & I’m stumped

Grammy1109

Jun 25, 2022
Michigan
History: I’m new to pool ownership so please forgive me.
Kids were itching and got rashes from pool. I tested the water and the Alkalinity and PH didn’t even register. I had the water tested and the store stated I needed 25 lbs of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). The water was clear prior to adjusting. As soon as I put in the first cup full of the baking soda, the water turned a brownish/orange. I’ve since added 55 lbs and the alkalinity is within a normal range. I’ve also started borax as the ph is still a tad low. My chlorine level is a bit high; 5. Water is still discolored but oddly enough only looking at it in the pool. When I pull out the water for testing it’s clear. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️
HELP? Any thoughts or ideas?
My pool is 44,000 gallons.

The experts will be here soon. Do you have a good test kit?

Test kits:
TF-100

There's also a Taylor K-2006 that is good too.

I highly recommend the pool math app. I've had the app for a year and I test and input and it tells me what I need to add.

I know it probably seems overwhelming but the experts will help you so you can manage your pool on your own and no need to go to a pool store to run tests. Your pool will get clear. Hang in there.

Last edited:
Wow! That is the very definition of what we mean when we say someone got "pool stored".

I have no idea why the baking soda would have caused your pool water to turn brown like that. But someone will be along shortly to tell you and what to do about it.

In the meantime, go ahead and get one of the tests ordered like Bug suggested. BTW, it's a K-2006c or TF-100 that you'll need. This is an absolute must for us to be able to help you.

Test kits:
TF-100

I highly recommend the pool math app. I've had the app for a year and I test and input and it tells me what I need to add.

I know it probably seems overwhelming but the experts will help you so you can manage your pool on your own and no need to go to a pool store to run tests. Your pool will get clear. Hang in there.
Yes, I have a test kit. I thought about metals but why would it change instantly and not over time?

Test kits:
TF-100

Yes, I have a kit and just downloaded the app. Thanks

• Love
Reactions: Snoobug
Chlorine can make iron turn yellow and precipitate out of water. But I've never seen baking soda do anything like that.

Left field here but can you look carefully at the package of the “sodium bicarb” you used and if it lists ingredients? Did the powder seem to have a greenish tinge? In a different context, I’ve seen ferrous sulfate do exactly that to a tank of water, like a chemistry magic trick. Instantaneous rust. Does the “pool store” also stock any agricultural or farm supplies? Unlikely, I know but only thing that comes to mind.

If you have any of the powder left, add a tablespoon or two to a tall glass of tap water (chlorinated city water) and see if you get a similar reaction.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hopefully @JoyfulNoise can provide a little input on how this happened (possibly the rapid ph change causing precipitation?)
But never the less- it appears there is iron present.

The answer is most likely to do the SLAM Process & concurrently use polyfill to filter the iron.
But FIRST we need to make sure ph & ta are stable as well as how much cya u have.
A Fc of 5ppm is not high depending upon your cya level FC/CYA Levels
Please list which kit u have (all the numbers & letters)
Along with your most recent results from your kit
Like this
👇
Fc
Cc
Ph
Ta
Ch
Cya

So we can help u get this cleared up.

FWIW, I ran a quick experiment. High iron content chlorinated water at low pH and the iron remains ferrous — basically invisible (I think it’s chelated but that’s from memory). Raise pH and it quickly goes ferric - rust. The reaction seems not reversible. Could be existing ferrous iron in the water that converted to ferric when the pH went up above a threshold.

Reactions: jeffchap
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.