Battling low chlorine levels all summer

That is not bad...seen some north of 250. Yikes.

I stand by advice in post 94 and 96. Manage your pH, don't chase TA. It will come down over time. Manage your pH between 8 and 7.6. If you really want to push it, do as I said in post 96 and when TA gets to 70, let pH settle where it wants.

You also thought me something else I never noticed. Each of the comments are numbered. That is very helpful 😂

Reactions: PoolStored
Ok finally got FC down to 7 and was able to bring my PH down to 7.6 today. TA lowered to 90 so improvement there as well. Now to just daily monitor the FC and PH and believe the TA will eventually get where it needs to. Turned the SWG back on and set to start at 1 ppm to monitor and maintain a good FC level. Will adjust as needed. A couple of last questions that I have.
1. For the daily FC test should I continue with the FAS-DPD test for a few days to a week and then start doing that one weekly and the OTO (I believe that is what it is called)? Or just always use the FAS-DPD Test?
2. I am using the Taylor K-1766 to test salt levels and it has consistently been 4400-4600 which I believe is way too high for my handy aquapure 1400. Could this be from the slam?

Ok finally got FC down to 7 and was able to bring my PH down to 7.6 today. TA lowered to 90 so improvement there as well. Now to just daily monitor the FC and PH and believe the TA will eventually get where it needs to. Turned the SWG back on and set to start at 1 ppm to monitor and maintain a good FC level. Will adjust as needed. A couple of last questions that I have.
1. For the daily FC test should I continue with the FAS-DPD test for a few days to a week and then start doing that one weekly and the OTO (I believe that is what it is called)? Or just always use the FAS-DPD Test?
You can if you want...vast majority of people here likely just use the FAS-DPD. If you use the OTO, you want to make sure it is darker than 5 (your minimum FC for 60 CYA). I just use the FAS-DPD...don't even have an OTO.
2. I am using the Taylor K-1766 to test salt levels and it has consistently been 4400-4600 which I believe is way too high for my handy aquapure 1400. Could this be from the slam?
Every gallon of 10% LC that you added to your pool added 15ppm of salt. Don't know how many you added...

You can if you want...vast majority of people here likely just use the FAS-DPD. If you use the OTO, you want to make sure it is darker than 5 (your minimum FC for 60 CYA). I just use the FAS-DPD...don't even have an OTO.

Every gallon of 10% LC that you added to your pool added 15ppm of salt. Don't know how many you added...

Added about 20 gallons so that would be 300 ppm of salt. I added 40 pounds of salt on 6/30 and that was per the pool store test saying I had low salt levels. This was before I purchased all my own test kits as well.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.