Battle of the Solar Skimmers: Ariel vs Betta 2 Bake off!!!

Propulsion:

Ariel: Uses two paddles (like the riverboats). They are each controlled independently and that is how the Ariel steers as well goes forward.

Betta2: Uses two boat like propellers also controlled independently again used for propulsion and steering.

They both seem to move at about the same speed. I dont know if one is more efficient or better than the other, they are just different.

One interesting notation, is the Betta is virtually silent, while the Ariel paddles make a very clear paddle beating the water sound. I may try to record the sound later.

Attachments

• 4C481E95-C520-4A8B-AEDB-27BC22931A5A.jpeg
    4C481E95-C520-4A8B-AEDB-27BC22931A5A.jpeg
    691.7 KB · Views: 52
Think of all the money you can make on bets..
Needless to say we do not get much rain in Southern CA. I keep my water level about two inches above the skimmer entry opening and installed an automatic pool fill device when I had my pool remodeled in Jan. of 2021 since I was tired of filling the pool every two weeks or so, and sometimes letting it get too low. My Betta 1 and now the Betta 2 sometimes got stuck at the the skimmer but always broke loose, either by themselves or maybe when they get bumped by the pool cleaner hose. It has only been two months with the Betta 2 but it has been working perfectly. I do not think it has even taken any time off yet, even if the sun has been down for two days it still keeps going.

Reactions: Orion7319
Yeah I feel sorry for you guys. The last time I was in LA was about 8 years ago when my sister got married. Drove down highway one to Santa Barbara, and I was amazed at all the burnt up hillside. Southern California has basically been in a drought for about 20 years now is that correct? We get massive rains and storms and minor flooding all the time now it seems. Our weather is quickly becoming like the weather in Tallahassee Florida. My beta 2 has also been chugging along quite nicely now since I got it.

I hate criticism. It makes me feel bad. But when you are right, you are right...

I have updated the title of the thread to indicate we are testing Solar Skimmers. Fixed the YouTube video on the first post (dont use the YouTube insert on the menu bar, just post a link calling @Leebo). And re watched the bot races, and now of course that video is making me crazy. I promise the next race will be more professionally shot, and make sure you stay tuned for bot wars….

I did preface that I am new to this whole YouTube and video thing. The first video I post was literally the first video I have ever posted of anything. But I am getting better at this, I now have 2 subscribers and only one of them is my wife!!!

So, keep the criticism and advice coming. I aim to please.
Thread title is much improved. Thank you.
Video in post #2 is now visible.*
The landscape orientation of that post #2 video is excellent. Shoot all your video like that.

That may be your first posted YouTube, but it looks great (as does your pool). I enjoyed the time-lapse.

* The only problem I have now is... I wish my vac worked that fast!!

Reactions: newdude
The landscape orientation of that post #2 video is excellent. Shoot all your video like that.

So that video is actually taken from a GoPro on a tripod. GoPro loves the super wide angle stuff.

And if you like time lapse wait for what is coming next!!!!

• Love
Reactions: Dirk
Thread title is much improved
Thanks for pointing out the not so obvious, at the high risk of sounding jerk-y. You wove that needle perfectly, so Bravo.

@Orion7319 started a 13 pager rager about these a year ago (in 2 days) and many of us have followed along this whole time. But for anyone who hadn't, now they'll know.

Here is the inspiration:

Reactions: Dirk and Orion7319
Time Lapse is fun.....

So two videos coming up. Both shot this morning. About 1 hour and 10 minutes each on time lapse. 1 frame per second was used. Shot the Betta first since the Ariel needed to rest and recharge, thats why the shadows are different. Ignore the bucket in the Ariel video, I need to add CYA so hung some over using sock method.

Betta2

Ariel

Conclusions:

Learned something today. The Betta likes to clean in a straight line and the Ariel likes to clean in circles. Not sure which one is better but lets chalk that up to a tie.

The Betta is better at maneuvering. You will notice that Ariel tends to get stuck in corners. What in time lapse looks like it is trying to deep clean a corner is actually it being stuck and trying to figure out how to get out. You will notice that I have a lot of corners in my pool, so this is a big deal. So advantage Betta here.

Thanks for pointing out the not so obvious, at the high risk of sounding jerk-y. You wove that needle perfectly, so Bravo.

@Orion7319 started a 13 pager rager about these a year ago (in 2 days) and many of us have followed along this whole time. But for anyone who hadn't, now they'll know.

Here is the inspiration:
Basically if your skimmers can’t keep up for whatever reason (I got a triple whammy, lots of trees, only 1 skimmer and it’s in the opposite direction the wind blows) then one of these might be for you. If your skimmers work, you shouldn’t need one. I figured $500.00 was a lot cheaper then busting up my pool deck, adding a new skimmer and pluming for it, spending $7k to cut down my oak tree (that was the quote). I figured it would be a bargain if it actually worked. And it has, quite well actually(when it doesn’t break down and I am waiting for a replacement under warranty). Also I have been in 7 car wrecks and after the last two my back is toast. Using the net to scoop up all the stuff all the time about kills me. For me it’s a necessity.

Reactions: newdude
Time Lapse is fun.....

So two videos coming up. Both shot this morning. About 1 hour and 10 minutes each on time lapse. 1 frame per second was used. Shot the Betta first since the Ariel needed to rest and recharge, thats why the shadows are different. Ignore the bucket in the Ariel video, I need to add CYA so hung some over using sock method.

Betta2

Ariel

Conclusions:

Learned something today. The Betta likes to clean in a straight line and the Ariel likes to clean in circles. Not sure which one is better but lets chalk that up to a tie.

The Betta is better at maneuvering. You will notice that Ariel tends to get stuck in corners. What in time lapse looks like it is trying to deep clean a corner is actually it being stuck and trying to figure out how to get out. You will notice that I have a lot of corners in my pool, so this is a big deal. So advantage Betta here.
I meant to tell you, I like your pool. Kinda an interesting modification of a Roman style.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, we are both kind of older these days, so not as good as we used to be. But we do scare the living bejezzus out of them.

However, there is one fellow that was successful at a bird catch the other day. Made us both jealous.

Attachments

• A4AE1420-2E3A-43C6-A116-817A65841231.jpeg
    A4AE1420-2E3A-43C6-A116-817A65841231.jpeg
    646.7 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: DanF and Orion7319
Well, we are both kind of older these days, so not as good as we used to be. But we do scare the living bejezzus out of them.

However, there is one fellow that was successful at a bird catch the other day. Made us both jealous.
Circle of life! This morning my dog gets ahold of a butterfly. I yell at her to spit it out so she does. Of course it’s all wet and can’t fly so immediately a male cardinal swoops in and grabs it. His mate shows up and he feeds it to her… he’s all like “here hun look what I got ya!” This particular pair always does that! The male will take the food from the bird feeder and bring it to the female every time! Of course my wife loves that about them…..

Reactions: DanF
I am not planning on testing it. Primarily because the handle it poorly. I already know the Ariel does not handle it well, and I have heard from others that neither does the Betta. It might be a limitation of all the solar skimmers. It is probably out of scope.

Actually I know it does not work with the Ariel, I might give it a quick try with the Betta, but not sure yet.

Betta no Bueno with cord interference. I turn off the Betta when I use the robot and pull the robot out after its cycle.

Well that settles it. Not worth testing. Rule of thumb for solar skimmers turn them off while running robot, or good time to remove them from the pool for a thorough cleaning.

An update:

The Betta continues to outshine the Ariel in terms of battery life. It has been running non stop since I have put it into the pool. The Ariel actually stopped in the middle of the day yesterday since it was pretty overcast and we had some light rain.

The other news is since I am still losing about a 1/2” of water every day I am getting to test these cleaners at all different water levels. So yesterday the Betta beached itself on my steps. It seems to ride lower in the water (maybe a requirement due to propellers instead of paddles). So I figured let me drop the stair avoidance posts. Turns out the rear of the Betta is lower than the front. So front posts help beach the Betta overnight while the rear posts stopped it from getting all the way beached.

As I type this, it just did it again. So I am going to try to raise the front bumpers and leave the rear ones lowered and see what happens.

Attachments

• DF8F2A4D-63B4-47F2-808A-BC0958A25F17.jpeg
    DF8F2A4D-63B4-47F2-808A-BC0958A25F17.jpeg
    699.9 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: MyAZPool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.