South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
So the grandkids are coming to visit us at the new house for the first time, and grandma wants me to install a float line at the drop-off. Problem is, no eye hooks were installed when the pool was put in to hang the float line on. My question is whether it's safe to be standing in water when using my battery powered hammer drill. As you can see in the attached picture, the one side has the water feature, so I can't drill into the stone and be outside the pool, like I can on the opposite side. I'm thinking it would be okay, but would like to hear from others who may have experience.IMG_20190730_145542.jpg

I know I'm going t get some doom & gloomers that say you'll die instantly just for thinking it, but if your drill is a 24 volt or less you will be fine. The worst thing you're going to do is ruin a drill if you drop it in the water. We have used battery powered tools when building docks and piers on the lake and river for many years.

Having said that, if you want to be really safe, get an air compressor and a pneumatic drill, and a long air hose, and then you won't even hurt the drill if you drop it in the water.

Agree that nobody will die if you drop the drill into the water, but there are probably other ways to do this without making permanent holes.

Can you secure some rope around the base of that wall, and tie off the end of the float line to that? Not beautiful, but temporary.

My PB put in recessed hooks for a float line in our pool when it was built at my request. My kids were beginner swimmers at the time and I've never once used a float line in there. The pool saw one more newborn, now 8, go through and still never used a float line.

IMO, it serves no purpose other than a suggestion to the kids that they should not go any deeper. Useful in a public pool, but a properly supervised pool with just a few kids, no need.

Reactions: Newdude
I'm positive I wouldn't drill holes in my tile, rock, coping. Nothing. Especially for a temp solution. I can only imagine the "damage" possibilities that MAY occur.
r.
EDIT. If the young one's are not yet at the "half-fish" stage, PLEASE use approved child flotation devices for them. :)

IMO, it serves no purpose other than a suggestion to the kids that they should not go any deeper. Useful in a public pool, but a properly supervised pool with just a few kids, no need.
I can provide a counter example. The only guest who ever asked where my dropoff started was an adult. A non-swimmer, she was fine in the pool as long as she could stand. It made me wonder how many adult non-swimmers are too embarrassed to ask.

For big pool parties with unknown guest swim skills, I would like to hook up a float line. My boss vetoed that idea.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.