Basic Question on SWG and additional chlorine needed

Mcas

Jun 24, 2018
Sacramento ca
Hi all, I am helping a friend with a SWG w/plaster pool, approx 15K gallons. He is going to convert from a service to do it yourself via TFP method with my help.

I have a non-SWG pool and in my research I believe a SWG (in proper condition) should be able to product enough chlorine so that supplement chlorine isn't needed. His current service uses 2 gallons a week of chlorine, I'm thinking that service isn't properly tuning his SWG. Is some additional chlorine usual? I know it depends on other factors like sun exposure, CYA, etc., but I'm just wondering if under proper settings should a SWG handle the chlorine required.

M,

A properly sized SWCG almost never needs additional chlorine.. Not weekly shocking, just nothing. Keep in mind that in the winter, if the water temps get below 55 degrees or so, the cell will no longer make chlorine..

A Cell should be at least 2 x the volume of the pool.. A 20K pool needs a 40K cell..

Tell us what brand and size of cell your friend has and we can help you determine how much chlorine it "should" generate.

Tell us what percentage the cell's output is set for and how long the pump is normally run.

Thanks,

Jim R.

M,

A properly sized SWCG almost never needs additional chlorine.. Not weekly shocking, just nothing. Keep in mind that in the winter, if the water temps get below 55 degrees or so, the cell will no longer make chlorine..

A Cell should be at least 2 x the volume of the pool.. A 20K pool needs a 40K cell..

Tell us what brand and size of cell your friend has and we can help you determine how much chlorine it "should" generate.

Tell us what percentage the cell's output is set for and how long the pump is normally run.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you, I will track down this information shortly and reply, this is VERY helpful!

I converted my pool to salt mid last season. Only liquid chlorine I used since then is during the closing SLAM and the opening SLAM. Other than that, it's just a bit of tuning on the panel for generator percentage and pump run times. I'm still coming down from the opening SLAM, and getting my CYA just right, but once everything is where I want it, I'll generally only check levels once a week.

The only chlorine I add is 4 gallons at opening, I think 4 at closing ( pool store closes) and other than that I have when my nephew pooped in the pool. 😂 otherwise I never even have it on hand.

One thing to pay attention to is heavy swimmer load. I was cruising along last summer and became complacent with testing. Thought I had everything dialed in properly, but then a couple of weeks of heavy swimmer activity wreaked havoc on FC and I found myself performing a late summer SLAM to rid myself of algae. I’ve read where folks will keep chlorine on hand and use to elevate the levels a bit before a swim party, etc. Probably good to always keep a couple gallons on hand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.